Locked In Ice

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Arctic Photog, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Arctic Photog

Arctic Photog Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Went for a ride out on the tundra today and found this float plane dock frozen in the ice on Landing Lake. The hills in the background is where they shot some of the scenes for the movie Snow Walker if any of you have seen it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Those look like mighty big polar bear footprints in the foreground there too.

LOL

Bokeh Diem

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Such a different world! This grainy black and white adds to the feeling I get when I look at this - that of being completely alone.

It would be interesting to see some of your world in color. I don't mean this as a criticism at all, but there's such a desolate feeling and I can't help but wonder if it is the same in "living color"?

5. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    I would love to show you the many colors of the tundra but unfortunately this time of year when the snow and ice are melting there is not much color to show.

Wait a few weeks and I can show our spring colors... then wait a few more weeks and i can show our fall colors.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thank you Arctic, and I have to smile a my own surprise at how fast the seasons fly by for you where you are. I look forward to any and all photographs, from now on.:flowers_2:

7. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Waiting for the ice to melt!!!!

Not really... some guys leave their boats on sleds and then pull them with snow-machines out to the edge of the ice on the Hudson Bay to go hunting.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    No colour you say?

There must be twenty different tones of green and blue in that ice. I bet it's spectacular any time of day, depending on what the light and air are doing.

Bokeh Diem

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    These pictures sure are a window to a different world for most of us, thaks for showing.

A couple of questions :smile:

1) How does your camera cope with the cold?

2) How noticable are the effects of global warming in your part of the world?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Thanks for the comments

I haven't had the E-PL1 out in the cold yet since it's spring right now and the temps don't really get bellow -3 but I have had my D40 out in colder weather without any problems.

To answer your other question Goldenlight... global warming is changing everything up here. The sea ice melts faster and earlier every year and we get less snow every year. Because we get less snow the lake where the town gets it's drinking water is starting to dry up. Another scary change is we are starting to see animals coming up to the arctic that we don't normally see such as grizzly bears. Now when I go out on the land I always bring a rifle.

• Like Like x 2