Loch Long

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Rockinggoose, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

I have been attempting to enhance this image of Loch Long from Arrochar by using the graduated filter function in LR5, both from the top for the sky and from the bottom for the darkish foreground. I find it quite pleasing but would like other's opinions as to whether it has worked or have I overdone it a little?

P62187602.

E-M5 plus Leica 14-140mm

Thanks

David

2. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Looks fine on the top (I use it all the time, it's a great feature for sky recovery). It's a little overdone for my tastes on the bottom, but my tastes run to the very dark and aren't really representative :)

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I too would like the foreground darker, probably around a stop or so.

Like you've done here, I often use a graduated filter on the sky if there are dramatic clouds. I don't know what adjustments you made with the graduated filter but I often just use a - highlights and a + clarity and avoid using an exposure adjustment to avoid getting into trouble elsewhere in the image. Sometimes I make those adjustments with the adjustment brush, just painting over the sky with auto masking on, instead of using the graduated filter.

Another technique that may work with this photo is to use the radial filter rather than the normal graduated filter, and centre it down low in the bottom of the V between the hills/mountains. If you leave the centre lighter and have it darken towards the edges you may manage to keep most of the cloud tones you have here and also darken the bottom of the image. I did a quick experiment with that on the JPG you posted and it seemed to work quite well.

I really like the photo but I think if you're going to emphasise the drama in the sky you need to have the landscape below it a little darker than it is because it looks like those dark clouds are extending back to above where you were standing to take the image and if you were under dark clouds the foreground wouldn't be as light as it is.