Local MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Event with OM-D E-M5 (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by darosk, Nov 17, 2013.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    This was the Borneo Fighting Championship's inaugural fight card. I'd heard about this event through Facebook. As a fan of MMA for over 10 years, I was curious and eager to see how my E-M5 would deal with fast action sports indoors, with terrible light. As the location was about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, I e-mailed the organizers for a media/press pass and was granted one.

I have never shot anything like this in my life (fast sports in mediocre light). I was shooting in Sequential L mode 90% of the time, and the results were about what I expected out of the camera. C-AF/Tracking on the E-M5 isn't great - this probably isn't groundbreaking news to most of you, I know :smile:. Still, reading about it online and experiencing it for yourself are two different things - and I'm happy to say I know more about my camera's limits than I did before.

• Like Like x 8
  2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 5
  3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 3
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 3
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 4
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Great shots. You can almost feel the blood & sweat fly !

• Like Like x 1
  7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks. Fighters were impressive, very intense and entertaining despite being mostly amateur fights.

8. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    thank you for these. I really like the b&w ones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros

10. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Very nice man! I'm a "Nak muay" but I like MMA too. The black & whites works better here IMO but I like the Blue tint and the desaturated colors in this one :

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks brother. Yes, I agree - being the first time I'm shooting/editing MMA photos, I'm discovering that the subject matter lends itself to the desaturated, cool/gritty look quite well. It's a good learning experience for me - since I posted this thread, I've still been tweaking the colour and tone in the photoset. The B&W, well I love B&W anyway - and I have to say that being forced to shoot at 3200 ISO pretty much the whole event made the images come out with a grittier feel. I totally did not plan for that aspect - but it worked out well!

12. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I love the bw! Great images. 75 1.8?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    A very impressive series. However, the last one in the fourth series of shots is simply spectacular. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks! Used the 45 1.8 for most, along with the panny 14.

Thanks Rick. I was right up against the cage with my camera for that one - was quite exhilarating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.