1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Local MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Event with OM-D E-M5 (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by darosk, Nov 17, 2013.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    This was the Borneo Fighting Championship's inaugural fight card. I'd heard about this event through Facebook. As a fan of MMA for over 10 years, I was curious and eager to see how my E-M5 would deal with fast action sports indoors, with terrible light. As the location was about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, I e-mailed the organizers for a media/press pass and was granted one.

I have never shot anything like this in my life (fast sports in mediocre light). I was shooting in Sequential L mode 90% of the time, and the results were about what I expected out of the camera. C-AF/Tracking on the E-M5 isn't great - this probably isn't groundbreaking news to most of you, I know :smile:. Still, reading about it online and experiencing it for yourself are two different things - and I'm happy to say I know more about my camera's limits than I did before.

• Like Like x 8
  2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 5
  3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 3
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 3
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    • Like Like x 4
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great shots. You can almost feel the blood & sweat fly !

• Like Like x 1
  7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks. Fighters were impressive, very intense and entertaining despite being mostly amateur fights.

8. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    thank you for these. I really like the b&w ones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros

10. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Very nice man! I'm a "Nak muay" but I like MMA too. The black & whites works better here IMO but I like the Blue tint and the desaturated colors in this one :

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks brother. Yes, I agree - being the first time I'm shooting/editing MMA photos, I'm discovering that the subject matter lends itself to the desaturated, cool/gritty look quite well. It's a good learning experience for me - since I posted this thread, I've still been tweaking the colour and tone in the photoset. The B&W, well I love B&W anyway - and I have to say that being forced to shoot at 3200 ISO pretty much the whole event made the images come out with a grittier feel. I totally did not plan for that aspect - but it worked out well!

12. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I love the bw! Great images. 75 1.8?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    A very impressive series. However, the last one in the fourth series of shots is simply spectacular. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks! Used the 45 1.8 for most, along with the panny 14.

Thanks Rick. I was right up against the cage with my camera for that one - was quite exhilarating.