Local Car Show

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Robert Watcher, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

It was a good night heading down to the beach - turns out there was a local car show there.

I had my E-PL3 with 14-42 kit lens as well as my 40-150 lens and switched them out as I took shots of a few cars that had character. Boy am I ever loving the flip out screen and used it for a majority of the shots. Not only did it allow for better angles without bending and contorting - but the look and size of the camera as well as my looking down composing on the horizontal screen - - - disarmed the car owners and people hanging around so that they didn't even pay attention to me.

1 )
    [​IMG]

2 )
    [​IMG]

3 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Robert Watcher

4 )
    [​IMG]

5 )
    [​IMG]

6 )
    [​IMG]

7 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Watcher

8 )
    [​IMG]

9 )
    [​IMG]

10 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Like the composition of those Robert...sometimes less is more!

5. Robert Watcher

Thank you. :smile:

6. Robert Watcher

With the last shot - - - while I loved the lines of the car, I wasn't going to bother taking the full shot (I took quite a few detail shots of it) because it was stuck in the middle of other cars and it created lots of clutter. Several years ago I shot a Love Story session using an old Lincoln in a very small garage - where I took out the background and gave the one full length shot more of a graphic look - - - as so I decided I'd take this shot and do the same with it. I loved the way the sun was coming through and wanted to leave the trees in front of the car, and so I just layed a gradient over the rest to make it stand out. I suppose I could have put a background in from some other place, but it probably would have looked fake anyway.

From this shot and the others that I took with the sun flare coming into the shot - I am quite pleased at the way this 14-42 kit lens handles it - - - especially when compared to my 12-60mm which produces a terrible look.

This is the shot straight from the camera, where I positioned the car in the top part of the frame for the visual that I had in my mind of how I would process it:

[​IMG]

7. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Interesting to see the actual shot vs your idea and how it turned out, looks good, thanks for the explanation.

I used to get out to a lot of shows but its been awhile, lookin forward to using my e-pm1 and seeing what I can capture

8. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Love shooting old cars. Thanks for sharing!

9. Robert Watcher

I appreciate your replies. :thumbup:

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    At first glance #1 looks like it could be a mirror image with the vertical line running almost right down the center.

I really like #9. A crop of that shot would make a nice avatar photo.

11. Robert Watcher

#1 is definitely a favorite of mine. It does have the apperance of bing a mirror image now that you mention that. I like your suggestion for #9. Thanks

12. Robert Watcher

I printed some of these images on my recently updated Epson R2000 yesterday. I must say that they look even more impressive in print at the large sizes.

The angle that I photographed shots #1 and #6 (aided by my use of the E-PL3 screen folded down and viewing from above) - has given me the idea to create a series in this same style - - - where the hood ornament is front and center, fading off into the hood and windshield. Hopefully I'll be able to find some other car shows take place in a similar settup and lighting that seems to work, in getting the look and tonality that I got with these shots.

[​IMG]