Local Car Show

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Robert Watcher, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

It was a good night heading down to the beach - turns out there was a local car show there.

I had my E-PL3 with 14-42 kit lens as well as my 40-150 lens and switched them out as I took shots of a few cars that had character. Boy am I ever loving the flip out screen and used it for a majority of the shots. Not only did it allow for better angles without bending and contorting - but the look and size of the camera as well as my looking down composing on the horizontal screen - - - disarmed the car owners and people hanging around so that they didn't even pay attention to me.

1 )
    [​IMG]

2 )
    [​IMG]

3 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Robert Watcher

4 )
    [​IMG]

5 )
    [​IMG]

6 )
    [​IMG]

7 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Watcher

8 )
    [​IMG]

9 )
    [​IMG]

10 )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Like the composition of those Robert...sometimes less is more!

5. Robert Watcher

Thank you. :smile:

6. Robert Watcher

With the last shot - - - while I loved the lines of the car, I wasn't going to bother taking the full shot (I took quite a few detail shots of it) because it was stuck in the middle of other cars and it created lots of clutter. Several years ago I shot a Love Story session using an old Lincoln in a very small garage - where I took out the background and gave the one full length shot more of a graphic look - - - as so I decided I'd take this shot and do the same with it. I loved the way the sun was coming through and wanted to leave the trees in front of the car, and so I just layed a gradient over the rest to make it stand out. I suppose I could have put a background in from some other place, but it probably would have looked fake anyway.

From this shot and the others that I took with the sun flare coming into the shot - I am quite pleased at the way this 14-42 kit lens handles it - - - especially when compared to my 12-60mm which produces a terrible look.

This is the shot straight from the camera, where I positioned the car in the top part of the frame for the visual that I had in my mind of how I would process it:

[​IMG]

7. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Interesting to see the actual shot vs your idea and how it turned out, looks good, thanks for the explanation.

I used to get out to a lot of shows but its been awhile, lookin forward to using my e-pm1 and seeing what I can capture

8. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Love shooting old cars. Thanks for sharing!

9. Robert Watcher

I appreciate your replies. :thumbup:

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    At first glance #1 looks like it could be a mirror image with the vertical line running almost right down the center.

I really like #9. A crop of that shot would make a nice avatar photo.

11. Robert Watcher

#1 is definitely a favorite of mine. It does have the apperance of bing a mirror image now that you mention that. I like your suggestion for #9. Thanks

12. Robert Watcher

I printed some of these images on my recently updated Epson R2000 yesterday. I must say that they look even more impressive in print at the large sizes.

The angle that I photographed shots #1 and #6 (aided by my use of the E-PL3 screen folded down and viewing from above) - has given me the idea to create a series in this same style - - - where the hood ornament is front and center, fading off into the hood and windshield. Hopefully I'll be able to find some other car shows take place in a similar settup and lighting that seems to work, in getting the look and tonality that I got with these shots.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.