local brewery seasonal release party

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by krugorg, Oct 23, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Surly is a hot local brewery and has release parties around some of their seasonal brews. Darkness, a Russian Imperial Stout, is the hardest seasonal to track down at your local liquor store, so a good idea to head down to the release party to try to grab some direct. I couldn't quite talk my wife into camping out the night before (first 1,500 people were able to buy six 750ml bottles each), so we waited in line for the 4pm release of an additional 1,200 bottles.

Second Chance Darkness Line
    Getting close to the door after an hour or so in line... lots of people behind us, but they luckily still had 1,200 bottles remaining...
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6273659186/" title="Darkness Beer Line by krugorg, on Flickr">"1008" height="766" alt="Darkness Beer Line"></a>

"... and this one is about a massacre"
    "....its called Wounded Knee." metal band played while we were waiting in line for Darkness... couldn't hear what my wife was saying, but somehow the message "you owe me big time" came across clearly. I decided I like Loud, Soft, Loud better than LOUD+1, LOUD+1, LOUD+1.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6273133631/" title="&quot;... and this one is about a massacre&quot; by krugorg, on Flickr">"1008" height="740" alt="&quot;... and this one is about a massacre&quot;"></a>

Inside the Brewery Warehouse
    Skids of Surly Furious ale...
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6273135831/" title="Surly Furious by krugorg, on Flickr">"993" height="1008" alt="Surly Furious"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    ... take one down, pass it around, 98 bot ... er ... cans of beer on the wall ...

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

I forgot to mention that Darkness was 10% alcohol (approx.).

4. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    My taste buds are too sensitive for all the 10% beer I've ever tried in my life.

My favorite beer is "La Maudite", a dark brown ale which literally translate in english as "The Damned", referring to a lady: 8 degrees on the brain thermometer. You ought to respect her, otherwise she'll get you on your knees!

maudite-1.

:drinks:

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Wasn't that also the chosen name for the main character in Dune? Paul Maudite?

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sounds great! My favorite cold weather beer from Surly is Bender, a brown ale.

7. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Is Surly Brewing related to Surly Bikes? They both must have a pretty big following in MN.

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Weird, but I guess there is no relation between the two. I do like the Surly bikes, but currently riding a Salsa (their sister company). Huh, another 5 letter word starting with a "S".

9. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Paul Muad'dib, which the author stole from Arabic I think. Maudite is a French word and a tasty, dangerous beer, and the label references an interesting story to boot. I think I might be more fond of La Fin du Monde (The End of the World), though ;)

not my picture; see The Full Pint for attribution information
    unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.