1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Local boys in mountainous Peru [b&w]

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by phrenic, Sep 12, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010

The locals can run while visitors huff and puff from the 4,600M altitude. :)

Taken with an E-P1 and 14-45 I believe.

C&C welcome. I wonder if I should crop a little from the bottom..perhaps a bit too much empty space there.

(upon posting this I noticed there's a more appropriate b&w forum..feel free to move, mods)

• Like Like x 1
  2. It fits within either forum - whichever one you would prefer, really.

I wonder whether the image might work best in a landscape orientation. The portrait format reveals the expanse of the image vertically (which may be appropriate for Peru!), but the detail of the foreground draws my eye downwards away from the boys. Just doing a quick crop on my computer...I love how it looks in a 4:3 landscape format, using the lowest point of the large rock as the bottom edge of the image.

3. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I think there is a bit too much empty in the foreground. I would agree with Luckypenguin. A 4:3 landscape crop looks good. I would also suggest a little post processing to recover some of the shadows on the two boys to bring out just a little more detail.

4. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal

I like the composition as is. Not enough verticals in landscape photos. Long foreground leads eye to boys and emphasizes the local environment of which the boys are apart.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I'm a bit torn on the composition/cropping aspect as well..easy enough to try a 4:3 crop. Maybe a square one too as I have a photo frame that could use filling. I'll have to try a few options and ask for a second opinion.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I like this picture as it is. I think the emptiness in the bottom leads the viewer's eyes to the boys.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We run from things (like emptiness) or we run to things (like the open horizon) and sometimes we get to do both. Sometimes our experience and expectations bring meaning to the composition and sometimes it is the other way around. A good photo makes one think about such things.