Loading Panasonic Raw images into Photoshop CS3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Praki, May 28, 2010.

1. Praki

Praki New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    I have recently shot some images with a GF-1 and GH-1. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 on a Mac. Does the Camera Raw in CS3 handle GH-1 and GF-1 raw files? Can I upgrade (free hopefully) to a version of Bridge or Camera raw that does?

I tried going to the Adobe site and looking for this info. I searched for about half hour in vain and am trying here.
    Thanks in advance.

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    You need a new version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) but Adobe often doesn't update the ACR for old versions of software. It may be available but I doubt it. For now anyway you could download the Beta of Lightroom 3 B2 from Adobe Labs for free but it will stop working once the product ships.

3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Adobe Photoshop CS3 doesn't do GF1 RAW.

CS4 and CS5, Elements 8, Aperture 3 and I am told Lightroom will. CS5 is a $200 up grade and that is a bit of a hard pill to swallow if all you want to do it open CF1 RAW

When needed, I presently use Aperture and export directly to CS3.

4. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    You can open these images without having to buy more software:

Make sure your Camera Raw plug-in is the latest version for CS3 (ACR 4.6). Either through Photoshop/Bridge's internal Update mechanism, or via the downloads page at adobe.com.

Download the latest version of the free DNG Converter app from Adobe. Right now the latest one showing up on the Camera Raw downloads page is v5.7. It's a standalone program that you can put in /Applications, and it's free. Use this program to read your RW2 files and save DNG copies. In the Preferences, set it to make DNGs compatible with "4.6 and later".

There: convert the GF1/GH1 files to DNG and your Photoshop and Bridge will be able to handle those.

5. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    BTW, support for native RW2 GH1 files was added in ACR 5.4, while the GF1 support was added in ACR 5.5. So the DNG Converter needs to be at least v5.5 for your purposes: just go for the latest available (5.7).

6. Praki

Praki New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Will try DNG conversion as suggested by DavidB first. The suggestions are very helpful. Thanks to all for the help.