Lloyd Chambers comments on the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Jul 10, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    He mostly reviews Nikon, Leica and Zeiss gear, but he recently tested an E-M5 and had some interesting comments.

The one that caught my eye:

"Sensor noise is a challenge. ISO 200 makes nice images, but are not noise free."

Unless I missed something, this is the first mention I've caught of visible noise at base ISO on the E-M5.

DH

2. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Funny ... The pics also say base ISO was 100.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    "For my taste, 800 is already on the margin"

Ha! He must have some really picky eyes. I've seen 3200 ISO shots from that camera that aren't on the margin. Very interesting comments, but maybe if you were use to top end Nikon, Leica, and Zeiss gear then...

4. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Wow. I pp'd a photo of mine yesterday and saw not so great noise. I was surprised at first then looked under file info and saw it was ISO8000! Wow. That was great for that high if ISO! The only ISO issue I have with the OMD.... I want ISO100, or better yet, 50. But when I need to crank it, I love the high ISO.

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thank God he's not reviewing 1st gen m4/3 camera....with his super sensitive noise eye he probably will not like 4/3 sensor at all :)

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Who?

As a noob why should I care what LC has to say?

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good catch. I'd guess it was a cut-n-paste error.

He is quite particular, yes.

He did review the E-P1 (on the pay-access part of the site).

"The sensor in the E-P1 is superb, particularly with respect to color and tonality. What a refreshing change over the megapixel race. This bodes well for the future of the 4/3 and micro-4/3 formats (same sensor). We can expect to see a wider variety of camera bodies too."

But that was 3 years ago. I guess perspectives change (also, he viewed m4/3 more as a P&S replacement and I expect evaluated accordingly).

You probably shouldn't particularly. He's something of a perfectionist, and perfectionism takes generally a good bit of time and experience!

DH

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I wrote to him about it, asking if he accidentally had it on ISO1000, since there's no ISO100 on the camera, and that we haven't been seeing the noise at ISO200. We'll see what he says.

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WTF is Llllloyd Chambers?

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I already got a reply back. First email he says, "Typo, fixed. Thanks."

Then a minute later I get another email saying, "Can't I have a typo for (censored) sake?"

Not a person I'd want to hang around with!

11. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear he responded that way.... He should not have a feedback link on his blog if he doesn't really want it.

12. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Never heard of the guy and, judging by the response to Mike's email, seems to be a total dick anyway..... one blog that won't be getting bookmarked....

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Just so it doesn't get lost in the discussion here, his overall initial comments were very positive on the E-M5. I would expect that his final review will also be favorable with maybe a small minus/con for higher noise than an APS-C or FF sensor. I guess I can live with that.... :biggrin:

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Base ISO noise/grain is slightly worse than for, say, a Canon 5DII. Not in an annoying way, but it's there.

15. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Wait!! I thought the OM-D was perfect! Now I have to go re-evaluate my entire outlook on life and determine whether or not I can go on living!

16. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, sorry I really should have emphasized that his comments were overall positive, i.e.:

"Olympus has done a stellar job of avoiding the shortcomings found on cameras like the Leica X2; the OM-D E-M5 is just so much more usable as a camera. Smartly done."

Ah, okay. Well that makes you the 2nd person I've heard that from :smile:

Thanks,

DH

17. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I agree with the noise. It seems to me, having been an old film shooter from the 60's until 2000, that the 'noise' on the OM-D looks like digital noise whereas the 5DmkII yields what looks more like film grain. It's more pleasing, if you will. That's subjective, though. I notice the same when comparing the 4/3 images to even a slight crop factor such as my 1DMKIIn and 1DMKIII images. The larger sensors have a more 'analog' noise, in general, than the smaller sensors, IMO, although I think the new Fuji X-Pro1 has a fairly 'gain' like appearance at 1600-3200. I'm very happy, however, with the relative low noise below 1600 on my OM-D. It is probably better overall than the 1DMK2/3 cameras at 1600 and very much better at 3200. Now, if only it could track moving objects as well!

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Then again, in the film days, shooting at ISO 1000 would have given you grain roughly the size of golf balls. If you want to compare against film, even the Pens have more DR and lower noise that almost any color film available back then.

19. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Yes, and nicely dimpled ones at that! I had to shoot a lot of 400 speed film and it could be pretty ugly.

20. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Tri-X pushed to 800 or 1200. Them was the daze!