Living with my E-P3...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Had a little camera envy tonight. Photographed and event my wife organized for the local EDC. Got to meet Newt Gingrich, photographed the round table discussion, etc. Some regional press guys were there with their big rigs, and I felt that old tug to go drop a couple of grand on a new DSLR. But then toward the end, I could tell Newt was about to give his closing remarks, so I pushed that little red button and recorded his comments! Then I got home and picked a quick image to send to a few EDC officials. I think the E-P3 held its own, AND the video was a HUGE hit with the EDC. I think I'll keep it... and the couple of grand.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Is it just me... or is the WB a bit off? They all look like they spent way too long in the sun...

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I haven't spent any time on it at all other than to quickly crop and post. They were under stage lighting with red, white and blue spots through them and onto the curtain behind them. Plus... we're in Florida, so the local officials DO have a bit more color. The gentleman on our right is an avid outdoorsman. So you have a little bit of everything going on here. Newt had a white shirt on though, so balancing the final version eventually shouldn't be too hard.

4. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I recognize the stage lighting look. I rather like the unprocessed quality of the image. You could spend a good amount of time balancing out the lighting in Photoshop to get rid of the actual colors tones the people that were there really saw - or you could leave the photo pretty much like it is.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'll probably work on the highlights a bit, especially the top of Newt's head, but leave the color alone for the most part.

I get Mitt Romney on Friday, Rick Santorum on Saturday. Fun stuff!

6. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Excellent candid, I agree just a tad of processing other than that it's great. Looking forward to the rest the GOP candidates.

7. brian watkins

brian watkins Mu-43 Rookie

same here

last weekend i spent shooting with some friends at the beach during the evening and into late sunset. they were using the canon 5dII, nikon d700 and others. None of them really knew anything about my "point and shoot" e-p3. I was getting the envy bug hitting me hard. I love the feel and sound of those nice dslrs. I've been weighing selling my Pen and my rokkor 50mm/f1.2
    PA161582-copy.
    in order to afford a good dslr. Still unsure. hard to part with such a nice set though.

oh, one nice side to the evening shoot, many of my friends agreed that i took the best shot of the evening. :)

P1145112-copy.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This is a lovely shot indeed!

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I find it interesting that we tend to covet what we don't have. I have been considering selling my Canon DSLR and lenses and replacing it with a GH2 kit. The bulk of the DSLR is getting old but I just can't give up the image quality just yet. The GH2 gives some amazing images but the m4/3 cameras still lag in the low light noise department. That plus I'm waiting to see what the OM-D looks like...

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    BTW, Newt was shot at ISO800.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Before I bought the E-P3 (already having the E-PL2), I considered replacing the Nikon D300s I'd sold when I jumped ship. The appropriate replacement now would have been a D7000, a very nice camera. Maybe another D300s, but for features, the D7000 is better. It just felt like I'd been down that road before. Mirrorless or m4/3 is more interesting technology lately, and it hasn't let me down image-wise.