1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LiveTime-like feature on GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ex machina, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Is there a way to get something like Olympus' LiveTime functionality on a GX7? Would be soo helpful in light painting.

2. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Insert sad trombone sound...

• Like Like x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    How's the light painting going? I tried it last week and it was fun.

4. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Well, it's sort of hit or miss so far as I'm learning, which is why I think the LiveTime feature would be so helpful. For instance, in this shot I accidentally shone the flashlight directly at the camera. ;) Where LiveView would be handy is in determining the right level of painting.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/50027494@N00/13058805584/in/set-72157642148824024/player/" width="500" height="326" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    What about exposure preview in M? If the exposure time is longer than few secs you are at least able to see the final result. If you use the phone app, you don't even have to run back to check the lcd

• Like Like x 2
  6. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Thanks, I played with that a bit but it doesn't let you see how the image is building, which is what I'm after. Man, if only we had LiveTime AND it worked on the phone app -- how cool would that be?

7. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Very cool! I am trying some long exposures with light painting/flash myself and would like that feature too. On the other hand, there are so many things I'd miss from the gx7 comparing with the ems that it makes this more than bearable:)

Who nows, maybe firmware update will make us happy. But we are really extremely nitpicking here, you know that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Actually, rather than nitpicking, I'm more like being lazy. My nitpicking thread was about why you can't use the self-timer to fire off a set of bracketed shots, which would be super helpful for lower-light/HDR. ;)

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Those trucks are so sexy. Where did you find them?

10. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    There's a truck farm west of Richmond, Va., near the blink-and-you'll-miss-it small town of Columbia. The owner is photog-friendly as long as you ask permission.

11. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    You can't? AAAARGHHHH!

:biggrin:

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  13. ex machina