Live view focusing?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by RenaudVL, Jan 25, 2015.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Been doing astrophotography with a Canon camera for years. Live view focusing in a charm with the T3i.
    Tried the othe with my EM1, can't see anything on the screen. What am I doing wrong. I usually focus on a bright star and then move to my target.
    One last attempt on love joy tonight!

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    On your EVF, set it to Live Vew Boost. I think this will help you see faint stars. I set this option among other things on one of my mysets for astrophotography on the E-P5.
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using the Vivid tone art filter can also sometimes help by boosting the live view a huge degree, however just zooming in on live view to 14x using the magnifier on a bright star is generally good.
  4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I've not tried Live View Boost, I'll definitely give that a try on the next time I get my telescope out. Thanks for the tip.

I don't normally have too much of a problem seeing things on the screen. I've come from a 700D and I'd say that the screen on the E-M10 is better than the screen on the 700D (picks up fainter objects) although there isn't a lot in it. I normally find a bright star and magnify the live view by 10x or 14x, I then use my bahtinov mask to fine focus.