1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Live view focusing?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by RenaudVL, Jan 25, 2015.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello,
    Been doing astrophotography with a Canon camera for years. Live view focusing in a charm with the T3i.
    Tried the othe with my EM1, can't see anything on the screen. What am I doing wrong. I usually focus on a bright star and then move to my target.
    One last attempt on love joy tonight!

Thanks

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    On your EVF, set it to Live Vew Boost. I think this will help you see faint stars. I set this option among other things on one of my mysets for astrophotography on the E-P5.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using the Vivid tone art filter can also sometimes help by boosting the live view a huge degree, however just zooming in on live view to 14x using the magnifier on a bright star is generally good.

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I've not tried Live View Boost, I'll definitely give that a try on the next time I get my telescope out. Thanks for the tip.

I don't normally have too much of a problem seeing things on the screen. I've come from a 700D and I'd say that the screen on the E-M10 is better than the screen on the 700D (picks up fainter objects) although there isn't a lot in it. I normally find a bright star and magnify the live view by 10x or 14x, I then use my bahtinov mask to fine focus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.