Live streaming with an E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Eris, May 27, 2012.

1. Eris

Eris New to Mu-43

May 27, 2012
    Is it possible? If so, I can't seem to find any information about going about it. I'll be filming an event next weekend and would much prefer to use my camera than my cellphone. TiA.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your camera should have come with a cable with a Mini 12-pin connection to 3 RCA connections, red, yellow, and white. The Mini 12-pin plugs into your Olympus data port, and the RCA connections provide your Audio/Video Out feed.

RCA connections are how I've always ran live feeds to projectors and LED screens to display live footage being recorded over and around the stage at major events. Any venue should be able to handle standard RCA, though you may need to get yourself lots of long RCA extensions depending on how far you are from the sound room.

Granted I've never done this specifically with the E-PL2 before, but I can't see why it wouldn't work the same other video cameras. The AV Out should be live when in Movie Mode.
  3. Eris

Eris New to Mu-43

May 27, 2012
    Hrm. I really appreciate the info, but I'm not sure that's what I'm after; I'm looking to livestream over Ustream by hooking my camera into my laptop via USB. (I was going to use the Ustream app on my Android for this purpose but would much rather use my camera if possible for reasons of quality.)
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I got it to work on my M-5. Here's my set-up.

1. M-5 with the yellow & white cable attached.

2. MacBook Pro with Elgato eye TV installed. (I have and older version that includes a n FM radio tuner) EyeTV Hybrid.

3. Elgato TV tuner (similar to a USB memory stick) in one of the USB ports.

4. The included "Break-out" cable attached to the Elgato TV tuner, and the other
    end to the Olympus yellow & white cable.

Open Eye-TV, go to "Controls" select "composite video input".
    Even gives you the option to record to the hard drive.

Online Store
  5. Eris

Eris New to Mu-43

May 27, 2012
    Thanks, Sammy. But I'm not sure how that gets me broadcasting live on Ustream. ? (I don't care about running/saving the video on my laptop.)
  6. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I was curious to find out what Ustream is, so I visited their website. A quick look around and I found the help section. The suggestion from Ned and Sammyboy seems like it will work fine. Follow the link below and scroll down to step 5 of the Ustream Producer section. I am pretty sure you should connect your camera and select "Live Input".

Broadcasting -- Getting Started | Ustream Help Center

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    The KEY is that you're computer will NEED to be able to SEE the device (E-M% or PL-2 or whatever camera source) as a "webcam device" in order to be able to broadcast live video streaming. I use a top line Logitech USB Webcam now but indeed if it can't be recognized as a webcam by the laptop's USB input you won't be able to do it. While I'm not sure what brands to recommend I'm pretty sure there are "converters" that allow a camcorder to function as a webcam. I happen to have a Olympus LS-20M which is a portable stereo handheld PCM stereo recording device that happens to do video as well. It can be used as a webcam device for streaming video into a computer as well. I think you'll have to do a little research but I'm pretty sure with some adaption it CAN be done. Search on the UStream site as if I recall they have links to explain how it can be done. I happen to use Justin TV for the same purpose.