Live composite plus ND filters?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fsuscotphoto, Sep 24, 2015.

1. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Is there any reason that I couldn't use live composite with ND filters? I've not thought it totally through yet as I've just ordered a set filters to try out, they are Amazon cheapies just to see if I like using them. I think I want some good ones, but don't know which way to turn there. Lee are so expensive yet I want square glass so I can use them on all my lenses. I'm shooting with both of the EM-5 models. Suggestions or opinions welcome!

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    If you want decent quality for a decent price consider HiTech ..same size as Lee seven5. I haven't tried it with live composite, but can't see why you couldn't do it.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm sure live-composite is ideal for the darker ND filters.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 4
  5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Yup agree. A match made in heaven. How else are you supposed to do a 1/2s exposure during mid day. I use a Haida 10 stop 62mm. I also just ordered a matching .6 and .9 100x150mm reverse gnd to use in conjunction with it.

6. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Very nice. Can you tell us how you set it up?

7. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I bought a 62mm 10 stop from Haida to use on my 12-40. I also bought a step down ring set to use with my 75mm. Then I purchased a filter dude square filter holder off of amazon with a 62mm adaptor, that way I could continue to use the 62mm round filter. I just ordered 2 reverse grads directly from Haida and they should be here in a couple of weeks (coming straight from China). If I had to do it again I might just buy the Haida 100 kit.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you want excellent quality at and excellent price, try out Haida. Here's a post of mine I made in a different thread that shows some images made with a Haida 10-stop ND filter, as well as some links down at the bottom of the post comparing Haida to B+W, and the Lee Big Stopper, as well as a page of images from another photographer who uses Haida filters (his shots are pretty amazing IMO)

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/70606/page-6#post-814152

9. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm totally new to the filter realm. There is SO much info out there and I don't know what to believe. To make sure that I get filters that are big enough, what is the smallest square/rectangular filter that I can use? Will brand X holders always work with brand Y's filters if they are the same size? I canceled my "cheapo Amazon" order and I'm just going to get good stuff the first time. I want to do things similar to those London pics in the other thread. I live just outside of Orlando and the theme parks offer a wealth of that type of opportunity.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I shot those London pics with my GH4, 12-35 f/2.8, a 58mm Haida MC Slim ProII 10-stop ND filter, and a $150 Sirui T-005X tripod. 4+ minute exposures in bulb mode, and no evidence to tripod shake, or IQ degradation due to the filter.

Do your research. That's how I came across the Haida filters, and when I started doing more research, I saw just how well they performed, at a fraction of the cost of your "Big Name" filters. These are the Haida filters you want, the MC Pro II filters (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+nd+mc+pro.TRS1&_nkw=haida+nd+mc+pro&_sacat=0). That's what I used to take those London shots.

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yes, compatible if same size filters. I use a cheap Cokin A filter holder and rings (For square/rectangle)..they are compatible with Hitech filters 67x85mm. You can find good deals on ebay/amazon for both. A cokin A holder is like $4 used vs Hitechs which is probably $20. SO they fit most or all of the 4/3rds lenses...and even some legacy 43rds. This also allows you to use cokin filters. Some are ok, some are crap.

I also have Haida 52mm and 62mm 10stop circular filters and can recommend as well.

12. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    If you can't find what you want in the us via Haida, pm me. I have the us reps name/company and he's ordering me stuff as I type.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.