Live composite on a camera phone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rfortson, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:05 PM.

1. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Is live composite possible (or something similar) possible using a camera phone? Pro mode is already pretty powerful, I wonder if software could be written to emulate this.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Do you mean control an Olympus doing Live Composite with your phone, or use the Live Composite feature with your phone's internal camera?

3. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Live Composite is just a software mode that uses Electronic Shutter in a novel way.

Smartphone cameras use nothing but Electronic Shutter. I have no idea how much low level control of the camera Apple gives to app devs (probably not a lot), but I'm sure doing something as good as if not better than Live Composite on Android is just a matter of coding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ADemuth

ADemuth Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    Koror, Palau
    I've not used live composite on a camera, but I suspect it's just processing an image stack with an ever-growing amount of images in real time. I don't think there's any magic going on - the images look like ones I've put together in PS and GIMP. The real innovation is that somebody had the idea to add this feature to a camera, where it's the most useful. Processing power in a modern cell phone is fairly substantial, though I think the actual work going on in this sort of image stack is pretty simple (comparing the values of two pixels and saving the value of the brighter one. Move to next pixel. Rinse and repeat 16 million times).

There may be more to Olympus' live composite feature in use that I'm unaware of, the end result looks like image stacks I've made in post.

5. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
  6. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Yeah, I was thinking it's purely software, and so it should be possible on a cell phone. Olympus put it into their TG-4/5 Tough cameras, so it's not much of a stretch to put it into a modern cell phone.

7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have used it a fair bit and your description seems a fair reflection of what is going on (or at least what I perceive to be going on). I think the innovative aspect when it was introduced was enabling the results to be visualised in real time, so you can decide when to stop the exposure, and maybe try again if you are not getting quite what you wanted. But in principle as you say the same results could be obtained by stacking a sequence of exposures in post processing.

8. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Thoughts I've had for "Live Composite +" that could use the level of processing power that top end smartphones now have, which might give some interesting results:

- shorter minimum shutter speed. Basically to capture full res or at least 8MP Ultra HD frames as fast as the faster burst speed the camera in the phone can handle (on the iPhone 8 and X that would be 1/10s for the full 12MP, or 1/60s for 8MP).

- live image alignment so you could do Live Comp handheld (which would mean the final image would be cropped in)

- Choose to only add higher values to certain channels (RGB, or switch colour space to YUV)

- Inverted LiveComp. Start with a bright base image, and pixels from later images only replace the base image if they are darker.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.