Live composite for lightning

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Oct 23, 2015.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Has anyone used live composite for lightning? I tried today but the image never captured any lightning though I could clearly see it. I tried exposures of 5 sec and 15 sec with no luck. What am I doing wrong?
  2. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I have done this a few times successfully at night. What time of day were you trying to capture lightning?
  3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Its possible to do. What were your settings??
  4. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    It was dark, around 7pm at night.

I had my aperture set one time at 1.8 with the shutter at 5 seconds. The second time I set it at 5.6, with the shutter at about 15 seconds.
  5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    I'd love to do this...
  6. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Here are two examples of what I've managed to capture:

Composite of multiple live composites at f2.8, 2.5 seconds, ISO 200
    NympenburgLightning_Composite V3

Composite of multiple live composites at f7.1, 5 seconds, ISO 200
    Lightning Show

As you can see, I've used settings similar to what you used, but one thing that I have to mention that it was night and fully dark. If it was twilight, it might have still been a bit too bright to capture lightning. I've had this issue myself and unfortunately I don't have a solution to capturing lightning during hours brighter than official night (past civil, nautical and astronomical twilight).

Do you have examples of what you captured? Maybe that will provide a clue as well?
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    This is nothing special but it was my first attempt at lightning so I am reasonably pleased, if I get another chance at least I will be quicker in setting up the camera. Taken last night from the window of my house. As with maritan's shots this was well after full darkness, not twilight. Live composite with multiple 5 second exposures, f9, IS0200. There were long intervals between flashes and I also had problems with rain being blown onto the lens, so I didn't get to superimpose multiple flashes - only one of the multiple exposures "counted" for the sky area. I would have liked to experiment with changing the aperture but the storm passed over before I had the chance, I don't know what difference if any this would make.

• Like Like x 3
  8. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Awesome shots! I love these! I have to try lightning one day! I have done this with fireflies and it took some trial and error but once you get the ambient base exposure set and the lighting is dark enough to register your "lights" then it should work perfectly. I would also not be afraid to let it run for longer than you think and amass extra images. Especially with something like lighting where some my be faint or not register as strong. I love experimenting with this mode!
  9. Sujiar

Sujiar Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    NorCal, USA
    image. Here's my first attempt at lightning, during a violent and torrential storm that has hopefully broken our Californian drought. Still light, after work and by the time I had found a parking spot with a decent sky view and set the Omd om10 on the dash with the wipers still going, most of the big lightning had already passed. But got this one - live comp, f5.6 1/2 sec for 30 seconds or so until a bolt flashed.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Vandy

Vandy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2015
    Those were amazing