1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Live band performance with E-PM1 + SEMA-1

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by atomic, Mar 14, 2013.

1. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Yellow Brick Road, a Las Vegas classic rock cover band was doing a loud show outdoors on Fremont Street. I was within a few feet of the speakers.

Click here for the video.

I think I may have found the limits of audio recording (sound pressure levels) with the SEMA-1. I used a Church Audio battery box (9v power) and CAFS-Omni miniature stereo mics. It is possible that my battery was low on juice, and that was the cause of the audio issues, but I do think the camera is doing something to try and limit (cut) the audio. Overall, it's not that bad... better than any video recording setup I've had before, but I want better.

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Pretty good. What lens did you use? looks pretty smooth. on tripod? there's a bit of that jello effect though when panning. also some blown highlights? Can you reduce aperture on EPM1?

I can hear the sound breaking up sometimes, but it's not bad. the GX1's built in mic seems to be better though. no crackling even at skull crushing volumes :eek:

3. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm pretty sure I used the Panny 14mm f2.5 set to manual focus. Camera was hand held, and if you can adjust the aperture during video recording, I'm not sure how to do it. Does the GX-1 built in mic really handle loud rock music that well? If so, I might consider picking one up. There have been some deals recently.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I think only GH cameras allow such manual video controls (unless lens itself has manual aperture control ring). I don't know about OM-D though.
    GX-1 mic is a revelation - Testament - Eyes of wrath, Live in New York 2013 - YouTube
    if only it had IBIS it would've been perfect for these situations.

5. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, I would say you did pretty well considering the crowd you were in. The audio is far better than expected for internal mics. I wonder if the internal mics on other panasonic models are as good... It looks like most at least have a 4 step level control.