Shootout Little Tuna vs Micro Tuna - A Look at Resolution

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I want to apologize for not answering back yet. I was super busy with last minute Christmas stuff yesterday and I spent today exploring a new place in my kayak. Got home a few hours ago and just finished cleaning all my gear, it took a serious beating today. I am so exhausted (the long story as to why will get posted in the coming days), so heading to bed and I promise to answer tomorrow. Until then I will leave you with a photograph of a juvenile Tricolored Heron that I captured today from the kayak. I watched him hunt for almost 1.5 hours and he would regularly get to close for even the 300/4 to focus. This photo has no crop and is one of many I took of this little guy.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Juvenile Tricolored 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Ok, got some sleep and drinking coffee laced with Irish Cream.............

@Phocal
Well done and thank you :2thumbs:. Really enjoyed the post and I was one of those hoping you would be kind enough to show this comparison.
Thanks and I do hope you found it useful. Have a few more that I want to do, like all three of my lenses that will reach 300mm and my two lenses that can reach 400mm+.

Ronnie I applaud you:th_salute: for the amount of effort you put into your posts, you obviously are meticulous in your planning and the effort and time you put into your posts is awesome - and you know and understand your cameras and lenses intimately. A true professional and it shows.:bowdown:
Thank you, really appreciate the comment. It does take a bit of time and planning, especially when out shooting. As I think about my upcoming book I have to really plan things out when I go shooting. I have the outline done and a list of things that I need to shoot when in the field. As I have learned it’s almost impossible to go out with a plan to shoot one specific thing since finding the right right subject in the right location and willing to hang around until I complete my shots. So I have this long list that I keep at the back of my mind and know that I may have to pass on a great photo opportunity (which is so hard) because I came across something that will work for a forum post or my book. Has really changed how I approach shooting when in the field.

I was disappointed when you left the forum and I’m glad you back!!!! I do miss your earlier posts which sadly were deleted.

The motto ‘’sharing is caring’’ comes to mind.

Good luck with the eagles.
I am glad you like that I am back, appreciate hearing that.

I was the one who deleted my post, but all the information is saved. I was going to put all the information back, but have reconsidered doing so for several reason that I can’t/don’t want to go into. Currently I don’t plan on putting the information back, but do intend to re-create a lot of it on my blog. I can say that I don’t intend on deleting anything I have posted since coming back.

Have a great Christmas and New Years celebration.

Ronnie

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Awww that's a good one Ron. Well worth waiting for. Sure wish we had those Tricoloured Herons here. The selective focus was nailed right where it should be, excellent shot.

All the best Ron, Christmas morning here and you and the family have good one.

Danny.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
I always was interested in both lenses. I recently saw the 150mm f2 in the London Camera Exchange shop, but the exchange rate scared me off. I found a used 40-150 pro here and slapped my money down. Good comparison. Thanks

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I confess, I tend to concern myself probably a little less than most with regards to resolving power, and I've shot more images at f16 and above than I can recall. But, that's me, and my feedback is most important from the clients I shoot for.
That doesn't mean to say I don't find the articles interesting. I don't doubt the day will come, when I have a hypercritical client that wants images he can shave with.
He's the client I tend to read these articles for. Not necessarily to rush out and buy a new lens. More likely, just so I get an idea of the location of a swamp to hide his body.

@Phocal
I always enjoy your imagery, whatever the subject. I also appreciate the experience and subject knowledge you pass on to the forum members. And whilst I don't read these articles with the explicit goal of deciding which lens would be better suited for me, it's surprising how much I recall when mentoring others who ask about such things. Whilst resolving power isn't the utmost of my personal needs, I fully appreciate we are all different, and more to the point, so are our clients.

My point of view regarding my own imagery is likely influenced by the fact my career focus is lighting, whereas others are ambient light. In this case, out of necessity. In these circumstances, I have no doubt the resolving power of a lens may well be paramount.

This wasn't intended as a soapbox post, more of a thank you to @Phocal and to point out that we are all different.
In my wife's case, very different.
I have been submitting to Alamy since my film days and getting images accepted with my Olympus gear requires a bit more work than my Canon gear. You don’t have the cropping room or the higher ISO ability, and the better the lens the easier things are. While it made some aspects a bit harder, I can get shots I couldn’t with a 1D and 500/4 because of the smaller size. The lower resolution lenses like the 75-300 make it a lot tougher if not impossible. More resolution captured also allows me to print larger and still maintain good detail, something I can’t overlook.

So................

Unfortunately some of my clients look for the fine details, especially when it comes to wildlife photography.

When it comes to other genres I photograph like sports the resolving power of the lens is not as important. For that type of photography I am more concerned about other aspects of the lens and camera.

It really all does come down to the subject and the client for what someone needs. In the end......if it satisfies the client that is all that counts

I do want to thank you for your in-depth post about your lighting setups for shots. While I really don’t do that much lighting I always learn something from your post and like you recall that information when someone asks me a question dealing with lighting. I may also ask you some specific questions as I work out my lighting gators idea.

Oh, BTW @Phocal
I like the B&W images best too. The texture really does pop.
They do make great B&W subjects.

Have a great holiday.........

Ronnie

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Honestly, the 'compressed RAW' thing is overblown, IMO. I've never run into issues, as I understand it it's mostly an issue in. Wet high contrast scenes with heavily pushed shadows, generally at borders. I have an a7r mark I and now a Mark III. The latter is better, by maybe a stop or so, but both are much better (smoother files, more post-processing latitude) than the E-M1 for pure IQ.

For shooting manual lenses, the Mark I is a pretty excellent camera if you don't mind the handling (some people hate the shutter placement) and the admittedly loud shutter (and no silent shutter). It is overall a very slow camera compared to the E-M1, but for a manual lenses only 'digital back' I find it works really very well indeed. I will likely convert mine to infrared (or full spectrum), since I've used it so enthusiastically since I bought it 4 years ago that it's cosmetically not particularly nice any more.
That may be but I have no interest in a full frame that isn’t giving me the full RAW file. I also want the silent shutter, so that rules it out regardless.

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
I have been submitting to Alamy since my film days and getting images accepted with my Olympus gear requires a bit more work than my Canon gear. You don’t have the cropping room or the higher ISO ability, and the better the lens the easier things are. While it made some aspects a bit harder, I can get shots I couldn’t with a 1D and 500/4 because of the smaller size. The lower resolution lenses like the 75-300 make it a lot tougher if not impossible. More resolution captured also allows me to print larger and still maintain good detail, something I can’t overlook.

So................

Unfortunately some of my clients look for the fine details, especially when it comes to wildlife photography.

When it comes to other genres I photograph like sports the resolving power of the lens is not as important. For that type of photography I am more concerned about other aspects of the lens and camera.

It really all does come down to the subject and the client for what someone needs. In the end......if it satisfies the client that is all that counts

I do want to thank you for your in-depth post about your lighting setups for shots. While I really don’t do that much lighting I always learn something from your post and like you recall that information when someone asks me a question dealing with lighting. I may also ask you some specific questions as I work out my lighting gators idea.

They do make great B&W subjects.

Have a great holiday.........

Ronnie
Yeah, stock libraries are demanding, although I've not had any issues with Getty and my m43 food imagery. Not one.
But then again, lighting means it is shot at base ISO, so I have the advantage. Which still brings us full circle to lit and ambient images.
I know I couldn't get away with it when having to shoot in some of your circumstances and with some of the challenges you face. I take my hat off to you.

And you have a restful, and less damp holiday too.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks for another amazing post Phocal, I’m actually moving more towards panny bodies and probably a G9, but the fact that the choice is their (especially with lenses) is what I love about m43. Have got to say my old GF1 has had an awful life and survived everything thrown at it, so hoping the “Pro” panny bodies are as well sealed and robust as the olys (my EM5 has also seen plenty of hard times and never missed a beat).

I love your gators, to me they’re a living dinasour (I that makes sense!), a really fascinating creature and amazing survivor. If I had the chance to get in that swamp, doubt I’d be away from it very often.

Good luck with the book, I’ll be one of the first in the queue to buy it (well I’ll probably buy from Amazon, but you get the idea!)
Thanks and good luck over there on the dark side.

I really love photographing gators, such amazing animals.

I love my swamps.................While I loved living in the mountains of Washington or the beach in San Diego, the swamps of southeast Texas are my favorite place in the world.

When it gets written you can be sure I will post it here. I think 12-18 months to get it ready for print. Have so much I need to shoot for it if I want to write it the way I have in mind. Going to require a lot of extra work over just shooting photos of wildlife but I have an approach unlike any I have seen.......just hope others like it enough to buy it.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Awww that's a good one Ron. Well worth waiting for. Sure wish we had those Tricoloured Herons here. The selective focus was nailed right where it should be, excellent shot.

All the best Ron, Christmas morning here and you and the family have good one.

Danny.
Thanks Danny, appreciate the comment. I got a lot of great captures of him that I hope to have in a post sometime after Christmas. Wait until you see the adult Tricolored I photographed, he is really beautiful.

I hope you and the family have a great Christmas (it’s Christmas Eve here)...........

Ronnie

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I always was interested in both lenses. I recently saw the 150mm f2 in the London Camera Exchange shop, but the exchange rate scared me off. I found a used 40-150 pro here and slapped my money down. Good comparison. Thanks
Congrats on the new lens. I love my 150/2 and glad I spent the money on it, even if it’s about $500 cheaper now.......still don’t regret it.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, stock libraries are demanding, although I've not had any issues with Getty and my m43 food imagery. Not one.
But then again, lighting means it is shot at base ISO, so I have the advantage. Which still brings us full circle to lit and ambient images.
I know I couldn't get away with it when having to shoot in some of your circumstances and with some of the challenges you face. I take my hat off to you.

And you have a restful, and less damp holiday too.
I don’t have any problem with Getty, but all I upload there is to Getty news. So a bit different genre and use for the images. I am pretty much exclusive with Alamy for rights managed images. What they don’t take I send to a bunch of micro stock sites for royalty free, may as well make a little money off them.

I am moving into more the art world with my photography and resolution will really not matter. Unfortunately I can’t really talk about my plans in an open forum and risk my ideas not being original :biggrin:

Have a great holiday and enjoy the time with family. Hopefully I can stay dry but I see a return to the bayou really soon.

Ronnie

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
I don’t have any problem with Getty, but all I upload there is to Getty news. So a bit different genre and use for the images. I am pretty much exclusive with Alamy for rights managed images. What they don’t take I send to a bunch of micro stock sites for royalty free, may as well make a little money off them.

I am moving into more the art world with my photography and resolution will really not matter. Unfortunately I can’t really talk about my plans in an open forum and risk my ideas not being original :biggrin:

Have a great holiday and enjoy the time with family. Hopefully I can stay dry but I see a return to the bayou really soon.

Ronnie
Always enjoyed reading your posts and intelligent analyses - I've learnt a lot.
Many thanks and glad you are back.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom