1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shootout Little Tuna vs Micro Tuna - A Look at Resolution

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Phocal, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I want to apologize for not answering back yet. I was super busy with last minute Christmas stuff yesterday and I spent today exploring a new place in my kayak. Got home a few hours ago and just finished cleaning all my gear, it took a serious beating today. I am so exhausted (the long story as to why will get posted in the coming days), so heading to bed and I promise to answer tomorrow. Until then I will leave you with a photograph of a juvenile Tricolored Heron that I captured today from the kayak. I watched him hunt for almost 1.5 hours and he would regularly get to close for even the 300/4 to focus. This photo has no crop and is one of many I took of this little guy.

24387449687_5b4429b6db_k.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Juvenile Tricolored 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Ok, got some sleep and drinking coffee laced with Irish Cream.............

Thanks and I do hope you found it useful. Have a few more that I want to do, like all three of my lenses that will reach 300mm and my two lenses that can reach 400mm+.

Thank you, really appreciate the comment. It does take a bit of time and planning, especially when out shooting. As I think about my upcoming book I have to really plan things out when I go shooting. I have the outline done and a list of things that I need to shoot when in the field. As I have learned it’s almost impossible to go out with a plan to shoot one specific thing since finding the right right subject in the right location and willing to hang around until I complete my shots. So I have this long list that I keep at the back of my mind and know that I may have to pass on a great photo opportunity (which is so hard) because I came across something that will work for a forum post or my book. Has really changed how I approach shooting when in the field.

I am glad you like that I am back, appreciate hearing that.

I was the one who deleted my post, but all the information is saved. I was going to put all the information back, but have reconsidered doing so for several reason that I can’t/don’t want to go into. Currently I don’t plan on putting the information back, but do intend to re-create a lot of it on my blog. I can say that I don’t intend on deleting anything I have posted since coming back.

Have a great Christmas and New Years celebration.

Ronnie

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. macro

macro Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Zealand
    Awww that's a good one Ron. Well worth waiting for. Sure wish we had those Tricoloured Herons here. The selective focus was nailed right where it should be, excellent shot.

All the best Ron, Christmas morning here and you and the family have good one.

Danny.

4. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I always was interested in both lenses. I recently saw the 150mm f2 in the London Camera Exchange shop, but the exchange rate scared me off. I found a used 40-150 pro here and slapped my money down. Good comparison. Thanks

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I have been submitting to Alamy since my film days and getting images accepted with my Olympus gear requires a bit more work than my Canon gear. You don’t have the cropping room or the higher ISO ability, and the better the lens the easier things are. While it made some aspects a bit harder, I can get shots I couldn’t with a 1D and 500/4 because of the smaller size. The lower resolution lenses like the 75-300 make it a lot tougher if not impossible. More resolution captured also allows me to print larger and still maintain good detail, something I can’t overlook.

So................

Unfortunately some of my clients look for the fine details, especially when it comes to wildlife photography.

When it comes to other genres I photograph like sports the resolving power of the lens is not as important. For that type of photography I am more concerned about other aspects of the lens and camera.

It really all does come down to the subject and the client for what someone needs. In the end......if it satisfies the client that is all that counts

I do want to thank you for your in-depth post about your lighting setups for shots. While I really don’t do that much lighting I always learn something from your post and like you recall that information when someone asks me a question dealing with lighting. I may also ask you some specific questions as I work out my lighting gators idea.

They do make great B&W subjects.

Have a great holiday.........

Ronnie

6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    That may be but I have no interest in a full frame that isn’t giving me the full RAW file. I also want the silent shutter, so that rules it out regardless.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks and you should, it’s a great lens.

8. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Yeah, stock libraries are demanding, although I've not had any issues with Getty and my m43 food imagery. Not one.
    But then again, lighting means it is shot at base ISO, so I have the advantage. Which still brings us full circle to lit and ambient images.
    I know I couldn't get away with it when having to shoot in some of your circumstances and with some of the challenges you face. I take my hat off to you.

And you have a restful, and less damp holiday too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks and good luck over there on the dark side.

I really love photographing gators, such amazing animals.

I love my swamps.................While I loved living in the mountains of Washington or the beach in San Diego, the swamps of southeast Texas are my favorite place in the world.

When it gets written you can be sure I will post it here. I think 12-18 months to get it ready for print. Have so much I need to shoot for it if I want to write it the way I have in mind. Going to require a lot of extra work over just shooting photos of wildlife but I have an approach unlike any I have seen.......just hope others like it enough to buy it.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks Danny, appreciate the comment. I got a lot of great captures of him that I hope to have in a post sometime after Christmas. Wait until you see the adult Tricolored I photographed, he is really beautiful.

I hope you and the family have a great Christmas (it’s Christmas Eve here)...........

Ronnie

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Congrats on the new lens. I love my 150/2 and glad I spent the money on it, even if it’s about $500 cheaper now.......still don’t regret it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I don’t have any problem with Getty, but all I upload there is to Getty news. So a bit different genre and use for the images. I am pretty much exclusive with Alamy for rights managed images. What they don’t take I send to a bunch of micro stock sites for royalty free, may as well make a little money off them.

I am moving into more the art world with my photography and resolution will really not matter. Unfortunately I can’t really talk about my plans in an open forum and risk my ideas not being original :biggrin:

Have a great holiday and enjoy the time with family. Hopefully I can stay dry but I see a return to the bayou really soon.

Ronnie

• Like Like x 1
  13. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Always enjoyed reading your posts and intelligent analyses - I've learnt a lot.
    Many thanks and glad you are back.

14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks, glad you enjoy the post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.