Little Tuna Meets Gorgeous

Phocal

God
I decided that the Little Tuna needed to meet Gorgeous so before going to work last night I stopped for a visit. She likes to use these small drainage pipes that run under the trail as a place to hide and to get across the trail without being seen. When I arrived she was hanging out in one of them and when she emerged I was able to capture this photo.

49598465776_112c73123f_k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Gorgeous 027 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She didn’t stick around long and disappeared into the woods. I moved into the woods and was sitting against a tree when I spotted her in the distance coming my way. I think she was shocked to find me sitting there.

49598715887_12f94bcbc0_k.jpg
Gorgeous 028 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After stopping to make sure I wasn’t a threat she went around me and back towards the main trail. After I got back to the main trail she popped out of the thicker brush and posed for me.

49598715302_c81aca922e_k.jpg
Gorgeous 029 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

It wasn’t long before the sun dipped behind the trees and for her to disappear into the woods again. I decided to head back to the car since the light was gone and on my way back she made one more appearance. So I grabbed one last shot of her and was surprised how much light the Little Tuna captured, it seemed a lot darker when I took the photograph.

49597967153_1910ecc47b_k.jpg
Gorgeous 030 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I knew I had gotten a few decent photographs but was looking forward to tomorrow. It was going to be another sunny day and I was getting off work at 4pm, would give me about an hour to try to capture some more images.

Phocal

God
I want to start off by saying when she is walking through the woods and moving in/out of the sun you really notice how much she glows when that sun hits her. The light today was absolutely amazing, it was so clear and that gave the light this amazing golden glow. I got there right at 4pm (got off early) and it was an hour before I saw her on the other side of the river and heading my way. It seemed like I was photographing her for an hour but in reality it was a total of 9 minutes from the first photo until the last. When she popped out onto the main trail she was in the light and I was able to capture this photo.
49597966383_1850200069_k.jpg
Gorgeous 031 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
She moved to other side of the trail where she hung out for awhile interested in something in the woods. I later learned from a lady walking down the trail that there was another fox down there, which is what she was probably interested in.
49598462511_09f528b0ab_k.jpg
Gorgeous 032 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
49598462221_59f2211f1e_k.jpg
Gorgeous 033 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
She started back down the trail towards me and I captured this.
49598712837_d9c5ee0c31_k.jpg
Gorgeous 034 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She ran into the woods but showed back up a minute or so later. Guess I could look at the exif and see just how long, looked it up, just over 2 minutes. I like how the light was just on her face in this shot. I have some others where her head and chest is in the light but she had moved forward and those branches in front of her are now right at her head and it’s really distracting.

49598712287_3b912ce9a4_k.jpg
Gorgeous 035 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She started heading back to the main trail when she turned and started sniffing behind her, I am guessing it was that other fox.

49598460686_782cac43c4_k.jpg
Gorgeous 036 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After a brief stop to sniff, she made it back to the main trail.

49598711162_f7c660a539_k.jpg
Gorgeous 037 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

When she got to the other side of the trail she went down the bank by the pipe she likes to use. When I saw her pop up and look my direction I dropped into the snow to capture this image.

49598459941_b7444b9af4_k.jpg
Gorgeous 038 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

While I was laying there she came farther up the bank, which is what I was hoping for.

49598459571_af73500204_k.jpg
Gorgeous 039 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She crossed to the far side of the trail and then walked by me. These are not the best composed images but I love how I nailed the DoF. If you click through to Flickr you can zoom in and I have nose to back of eye in focus.

49598459031_b290936a00_k.jpg
Gorgeous 040 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

49598709232_c088f02729_k.jpg
Gorgeous 041 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

With that she walked off into the woods as the sun dipped below the tree line. She was still around but with the light gone I decided to head home rather than stay and get photos without that beautiful light.

It was great to shoot her with the Little Tuna, something I had been wanting to do for a few weeks now. She gets so close that getting full body shots with the 300/4 is almost impossible. So it was nice being able to capture full shots as well as some good environmental portraits. Plus it is always fun getting close enough to use the 150/2. Not just because it is such an amazing lens but also for the thrill of being so up close and personal with my subject. I will be going back tomorrow after work but it’s going to be one of those days where I am thankful for the fast aperture. We have a 70% chance of snow tomorrow, so it will be overcast and I am so hoping for a good heavy snow fall while I am out there. I love the images from the 300/4 on that snowy day and would love to see how the 150/2 performs.

Hope you enjoyed the story along with the photos. As always, any and all comments are welcomed.

Phocal

I should add that these photos have little to no crop. None are cropped shorter than 4000px on the long side, so no more than a 600px crop.

Edit - I was also lucky that I was able to keep myself between her and the sun. But now I want to shoot her with the 150/2 into the sun, I love shooting this lens into the sun because it can create some amazing images when I do that.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
She certainly scrubs up alright for a photo.

Very nice story to go along with the magnificent pictures. the fur detail is really stunning.

PS
Looks like you have found something to swap the Gators for now

Phocal

God
She certainly scrubs up alright for a photo.

Very nice story to go along with the magnificent pictures. the fur detail is really stunning.

PS
Looks like you have found something to swap the Gators for now

Yes she does. Thank you and the 150/2 is such an amazing lens.

I still miss my gators.

Real Name
Walter
I want to start off by saying when she is walking through the woods and moving in/out of the sun you really notice how much she glows when that sun hits her. The light today was absolutely amazing, it was so clear and that gave the light this amazing golden glow. I got there right at 4pm (got off early) and it was an hour before I saw her on the other side of the river and heading my way. It seemed like I was photographing her for an hour but in reality it was a total of 9 minutes from the first photo until the last. When she popped out onto the main trail she was in the light and I was able to capture this photo.
View attachment 805258 Gorgeous 031 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
She moved to other side of the trail where she hung out for awhile interested in something in the woods. I later learned from a lady walking down the trail that there was another fox down there, which is what she was probably interested in.
View attachment 805259 Gorgeous 032 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
View attachment 805260 Gorgeous 033 by Phocal Art, on Flickr
She started back down the trail towards me and I captured this.
View attachment 805261 Gorgeous 034 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She ran into the woods but showed back up a minute or so later. Guess I could look at the exif and see just how long, looked it up, just over 2 minutes. I like how the light was just on her face in this shot. I have some others where her head and chest is in the light but she had moved forward and those branches in front of her are now right at her head and it’s really distracting.

View attachment 805262 Gorgeous 035 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She started heading back to the main trail when she turned and started sniffing behind her, I am guessing it was that other fox.

View attachment 805263 Gorgeous 036 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

After a brief stop to sniff, she made it back to the main trail.

View attachment 805264 Gorgeous 037 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

When she got to the other side of the trail she went down the bank by the pipe she likes to use. When I saw her pop up and look my direction I dropped into the snow to capture this image.

View attachment 805265 Gorgeous 038 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

While I was laying there she came farther up the bank, which is what I was hoping for.

View attachment 805266 Gorgeous 039 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

She crossed to the far side of the trail and then walked by me. These are not the best composed images but I love how I nailed the DoF. If you click through to Flickr you can zoom in and I have nose to back of eye in focus.

View attachment 805267 Gorgeous 040 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

View attachment 805268 Gorgeous 041 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

With that she walked off into the woods as the sun dipped below the tree line. She was still around but with the light gone I decided to head home rather than stay and get photos without that beautiful light.

It was great to shoot her with the Little Tuna, something I had been wanting to do for a few weeks now. She gets so close that getting full body shots with the 300/4 is almost impossible. So it was nice being able to capture full shots as well as some good environmental portraits. Plus it is always fun getting close enough to use the 150/2. Not just because it is such an amazing lens but also for the thrill of being so up close and personal with my subject. I will be going back tomorrow after work but it’s going to be one of those days where I am thankful for the fast aperture. We have a 70% chance of snow tomorrow, so it will be overcast and I am so hoping for a good heavy snow fall while I am out there. I love the images from the 300/4 on that snowy day and would love to see how the 150/2 performs.

Hope you enjoyed the story along with the photos. As always, any and all comments are welcomed.

Phocal

I should add that these photos have little to no crop. None are cropped shorter than 4000px on the long side, so no more than a 600px crop.

Edit - I was also lucky that I was able to keep myself between her and the sun. But now I want to shoot her with the 150/2 into the sun, I love shooting this lens into the sun because it can create some amazing images when I do that.

Ooh, she is just glowing in that light. Gorgeous indeed, and photos too! Thanks, Phocal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom