1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Little confused, what do you see in the EVF?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shawngibson, Aug 19, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Hey guys, with the external finder for the e-p2, what do you see? I am used to both full 35mm finders and on some of the smaller cameras I bought katseye (sp?) rangefinder screens? I'm asking before I sink money into a bunch of MF glass. Can you see WELL out of the EVF? I'm talking about everything from f8 in overcast skies to low light stuff...

I can't see squat in many conditions with the back screen of the e-p2...
    Merci:)

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah, the Finder is great. I have it set to show no info...just the image...I don't like distractions..
    I can use my MF lenses to f16 and see ok in decent light.......
    F8...geeze that's a gimme.......
    Where ya located? I'
    I'm in Philly, if your near here, you can try mine out before you buy it....but you'll buy it anywayz.....

3. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks man! I'm in Toronto, so that's a bit of a journey lol:)

With all the info off (which I like) can I still look at the histogram on the main screen? No big deal if not, set that up first then switch to EVF, but would be nice:)

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    hmmmm very good question...I never use the histogram but later I'll give it a try, if I can find it....

5. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Cool thanks man, and you're right, I'm gonna buy it when I can, just curious what to expect...

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Unfortunately, WWR and TNA wrestling started so I'll get to checking later....
    Unreal, 60 YO and watching wrestling....
    Later

7. VF-2 is absolutely worth it!

I have remarked in another thread, that the VF-2 was the reason for my purchasing of an E-PL1 for my wife in June. (Tried an E-P2 with it in the afternoon at a photo class; went to local big Box that night to buy the camera kit; on-lined a VF-2 within 3 days!) Real story.

My previous experience with LCD viewfinders on P&S had absolutely scored a "no way" for the E-P1 (even with its excellent IQ and build). I resolved that I would stay with my large DSLRs, enjoying their OVF and great performance. When the VF-2 arrived, the world changed for me. That VF-2 offers a view equivalent to my E-3! IMO:2thumbs:

I still shoot with my "big" cameras, but that is changing! As of 3 hrs. ago, "my E-P2" arrived with another VF-2! :rolleyes::biggrin:

While my wife prefers using the VF-2 almost all the time, I do think that I'll give the E-P2 a go with "live view". Bring on the sun, I'm ready!!

8. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Just curious, is that possible to have both screens on? The EVF to show no information and have all that information on the main screen?

9. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    It is either or at this point. There is a button on the EVF to switch back and forth. It seems fairly quick to me so far ( haven't had it that long). Not sure if the info can be different on the two screens when you switch. I can check it out later tomorrow if someone doesn't know the answer by then.

10. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I enjoy shooting old style with legacy lenses and with both eyes open - "mechanical with electronic brain". So EVF is necessary for me. I switched off LCD as I love shooting street style plus I get slightly longer battery life - standard battery sucks.

On EVF, I turn on histogram which is necessary with legacy lenses as the aperture I want can sometimes blow highlights plus I turn on focus assist as I like shallow DOF.

When I want to preview I just press the preview button and zoom to 14x to verify sharpness. After preview, on positioning camera to my shooting eye, I lightly tap the shutter release button to switch off LCD and turn on EVF.

Once this workflow becomes second nature, I can shoot quite fast as camera does not need to AF but release shutter.

EVF is necessary for non pancake lenses as I need the camera to be as close to my body during hand-held. Sometimes I use my Olympus diving hand strap for added stability - attaching the strap to the left ear and hooking strap over back of my neck to my right wrist. I may also right grip the camera differently for added stability - pinky curled under camera, thumb over shutter release button and index to fourth curled in front.

Hope I have not confuse you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    The info on the LCD and in the viewfinder is always identical when you switch from one to the other.

• Like Like x 2