1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Little Brother (Got my E-PM2)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just got my E-PM2

8148019841_1d242a18ef_z.

Sorry for the lousy pic quality (bad phone camera, bad light)

Love the size/weight/feel of the little guy. Controls are sparse but give good feedback. Shutter release has a nice feel and relatively subdued sound though not as muted as E-M5.

Top view compared to Sony RX100:

8148049858_c170cf8064_z.

• Like Like x 15
  2. rickyislazy

rickyislazy New to Mu-43

May 30, 2012
    Congrats! It looks like the silver has a gold tint to it.

Please post more pictures of the body with other lens attached, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing them Amin .. I am wondering why you didn't use RX100 to shoot the comparasion pic ? Lol .. Interestingly AUS has the lowest prices on EPM2 -- Body only AUD 450 and that makes it USD440
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, that is a small camera! Congrats, enjoy! :cool:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think that's more the table it's sitting on, but the front/back plates certainly are a warmer color than the top/bottom plate...

That looks like the new generation for this pair...

e-pl2_and_e-pm1_web.

According to rumors, 2013 should see the re-emergence of big brother and little brother's big daddy...

e-3_e-pl2_e-pm1_web.

Can't wait to see the whole family together in a new generation, all with 16MP Sony-built sensors! lol. :D

6. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Hey Amin, a question about your new toy: Does the IS stabilize the viewfinder image as with the OM-D? Other than the new sensor, that's my most desired feature from the OM-D, and if the OM-Ds little brother has it (along with the new sensor and the pseudo focus peaking), it might drive me to upgrade from my PL2 sooner than I expected!

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wouldn't call it a gold tint, but like all silver Olympus gear, it's a slightly different color silver than the rest :smile:.

Hi Billy, I don't know - the only viewfinder I have for this camera is an optical one.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How very true. My favorite silver finish ever (from the digital age) was on the original Digital Pen. I've never bought another silver camera since, because they just don't match up to it... lol.

jupiter-3_web.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    OMG that is small! :eek:

May we see sample pictures please :smile:

10. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beat me to it! Nice in silver, black, or white.

Did they fix the IS in video mode? I know it's optical IS now,but does it work well?

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    IS seems to work pretty well. I didn't shoot this as a test, but it was handheld with a nonstabilized lens:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pcUFTiG4DEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would be interested to know if IBIS has been improved from EPM1. I never had the EPM1 but I recall a lot of people complaining that its IS is much less effective than the ones in EP3 and EPL3. Thanks.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I also ordered black E-PM2 body from Amazon. Should arrive on Tuesday. Couldn't resist cause I am going on exciting once in a lifetime vacation trip in two weeks and would like the best IQ I can get specifically in low light. Having said that, I will likely return the camera immediately if I find no improvement in IBIS compared to E-PM1. Olympus won't fool me twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

14. Rex914

Rex914 New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2012
    Not so much ineffective, as it was that widely cited "double-image" issue which caused the IBIS to actually generate "blur" at hand-holdable shutter speeds. This is what turned me away from getting an EPM1 for a trip earlier this year.

I'm really curious if this has been fixed in the PM2/PL5. I've read that they stuck in a new shutter mechanism, so here's to hoping that the issue is gone.

15. UncaMikey

UncaMikey New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2012
    Fort Worth, Texas
    After years of being contacts with you on Flickr and a long time lurking here, Amin, this post finally got me to register! :smile: I am considering moving to m4/3rds and thought that the E-PM2 would be a good place to start.

Before I do it, though, I'll wait to hear what you have to say about this camera. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My E-PM2 made it onto the big screen at TD Garden before the Celtics' home opener. My two boys also :smile:.

8150354499_e2a0c932e0_c.
    P1010067 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Glad you've joined us, Mike!

Micro 4/3 is a terrific system, and I think the E-PM2 is a great place to start. Here's a quick summary of the good and the bad based on my early and personal (you can add IMO to each of these) impressions:

First the good:
    • Great sensor performance - best amongst Micro 4/3 cameras
    • Most pleasing in-camera JPEG engine
    • Very good AF performance
    • Small, light, feels good in the hand
    • Image stabilization with any lens
    • Great implementation of touch AF/shutter release

Now the bad:
    • Overpriced - I bought my GX1 recently for $399, and it feels like a more premium camera in every way: overall build quality, controls, rear display, etc. With the E-PM2, you're paying a big premium for the sensor. I'd say the GX1 is a major bargain at current pricing, and the E-PM2 is slightly overpriced. Australia and parts of Canada seem to have better pricing, so maybe we'll see a small price drop in the US sooner than the usual 6 month interval.
    • Rear display is pretty poor. It's 3" total but has a 3:2 aspect ratio, and the sensor is 4:3, so the viewing area if you shoot using the whole sensor is disappointing.
    • Video record button takes up some premium real estate, right near the thumb rest. I don't hit it by accident, but I'd like something more useful there while retaining the capability of one touch video.
    • Controls are sparse. I can still access everything I need quickly, but another dial and a function button or two would be great.

I'm not planning to do any kind of "full review", but I'll continue to post impressions here.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Next time you should bring an Mu-43 banner and do some free advertising! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    GX1 is bargain but G3, w can say that it almost for free now ;) It's a shame that Olympus hasn't upgraded touchscreen to 920k dots...s

20. Does the E-PM2 have a blindingly bright LED on the top plate like the E-PM1, and is the rear screen big enough to allow accurate focus point selection with the new touchscreen?