1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lithgow Blast Furnace Ruins

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Sep 22, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    An ironworks was established at Lithgow, 150 km west of Sydney in 1875, the site was enlarged and a blast funace built in 1907. It was in operation until 1930 and blast funaces were removed in 1932. All that remains are the main engine house, the blast furnace foundations and the ruins of various parts of the ironworks.

Both shots taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm zoom.

5013715597_2ac6b363a0_z.
    Interior of Engine Room at sunset 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

5014322948_d4ee3c0078_z.
    The Blast Furnace 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When I saw 'Lithgow' in the title my eyes lit up because about 2 years ago I was at the exactly the same place. Took pictures of the same structure as well. I remember clearly as I was climbing down inside the building and as i dropped down on the ground a huge lizard came flying out and I nearly jumped out of my skin. When I was inside it reminded me of a bombed out church or something you'd see in the movies. You've got your colours really haunting. Nice.

I remember nearby there was a train station, Zig Zag railway. We went there as well and I can remember one of the bridges on the train ride was spectacular. Also i really enjoyed the tour of the workshop and they way we could climb on and look at the old loco they were restoring. There aren't many places left where you can do that.

Now that you'e brought back memories, I've gone through my pictures and I found a picture I must have taken of another picture showing what the furnace used to look like. Here it is.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5014517982/" title="DSCF2117 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="520" alt="DSCF2117" /></a>

The Fujililm P&S I had back then looks like it had some serious lens distortion:smile: Check out how the silo structure is leaning on the right side.

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Very interesting. Yes, that photo was on one of the signs. I recognise the crude hand writing on it. I don't recall the blast furnace towers leaning in like that so I guess you shot the sign at quite an angle.

No lizards for me, just lots of empty and broken grog bottles. The wild children had been busy.