1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Listen up, Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    News Flash: Olympus has announced reduction in its camera business's losses but PEN sales have fallen behind expectations.

Listening to your customers might be the key to improving sales, Mr. Olympus. I see you've decided to offer a "premium grip" the ep5:

On sale in limited quantities: Premium model equipped with premium wood grip
    We will be selling a premium model of the OLYMPUS PEN E-P5 in limited quantities exclusive to Olympus that is equipped with a unique wooden grip*22. Made of genuine natural wood, these will be one of a kind grips with the grain differing for each and every one. The luxuriousness of the grip and simultaneously the sense of it being of a piece with the camera has been heightened by changing the shade to match the color of the camera body. The wood used comes from Canadian curly maple. We turned this wood-selected especially by craftsmen who examined wood from trees around the world-into an even better material thanks to our strict quality control. Carefully made with the hands of Japanese craftsmen who took the time to wield their masterful techniques, these grips fit gently into your hand and give off a surprising sense of warmth. The premium OLYMPUS PEN E-P5 makes it possible for you to enjoy the experience of carrying it.

nr130510ep5_12. nr130510ep5_13. nr130510ep5_14.

Mr. Olympus, if you can afford to expand this much energy on a very niche market segment, why not address the much bigger segment clamoring for a larger grip on the ep5? How about persuading your masterful Japanese craftsmen to use a larger chunk of wood?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would prefer a custom-painted E-P5, along with a matching custom-painted Vespa and Helmet. That product exists, but is only being sold in the U.K.

I can't order it here in the U.S.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think Olympus is wanting to be Hasselblad now... fancy cameras that are not better for the extra money needed.

I've criticized the E-P5 already for it's price point and lack of EVF -- but reviewers have often cited that it's not that comfortable to hold.

Olympus is losing its way. Beautiful machines, but just missing some key things that are surprising.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well often times fashion and comfort don't go hand-in-hand. :wink:

5. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I've been using it for over a month now very regularly, and I find it very very comfortable to hold. My references are the D70, D7000, RB67PRO & G6

6. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Wooden grip????

Give us higher bitrate and 24/25p and every DSLR-video-geek (like me) will buy one!

News flash, Panasonic dropped the ball, the GX7 doesnt have OIS in video mode, you can steal all their potential customers with a simple firmware update!

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But clearly not everyone feels that way. The E-PL bodies have interchangable grips. The P5 should as well.

The larger point, though, is that no one seems to have asked for a Pen with a wooden grip. Many people have asked for Pens with better ergonomics, a built-in EVF, etc. As the OP said, maybe Olympus camera sales would improve if they listened to their customers a bit more, and worried about special edition designs a bit less.

8. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    "Made of genuine natural wood,"

Wow.

9. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Canadian wood!! Japanese craftsmen!!!!! WARMTH!!!!!!

Oh Olympus, you do go on!!

10. plexi

plexi New to Mu-43

Aug 6, 2013
    I'll cast another vote for the E-P5 grip, works great for me. To each his own, I guess. But the wood grip is pretty silly.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sometime we craftsmen do like to wield our masterful techniques. ;)

When I've slapped my polished burr-wood grip onto this here G3 I'll post a piccy.
    Masterful.

Oh look! ;

WoodenGrip04.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I want roughly hewn American plywood.

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Actually the custom gripped E-P5 has been launched the same time as the regular one. I've seen it already but maybe it was only launched here in Japan.

The price is more expensive by about $50-60 dollars.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think we all realize that the problem for Olympus is that customers don't seem to have wood for the E-P5, the way they did for the OM-D or they do for the GX7.

15. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    It is good that there is choice. If you want an interchangeable grip you can get an e-pl problem solved :) or built in evf the omd is great for that.

Not everything is everything to everyone which is fine I think.

16. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Agreed!! At this point it seems like people are setting their eyes on a camera with E-VF. At least the enthusiasts are.

I for one am very impressed with the E-P5. But I am bothered by the fact that you need to add an E-VF on top. I find it a bit too clunky specially when other manufacturers have been releasing cameras with EVF for about the same size. I even used the VF-3 on it instead.:redface:

17. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd give anyone $50 to fashion a grip for my PM2

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    was going to say something.. then realised it would just fuel a DPR type cluster**ck

be positive not negative...

K

19. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Wanna grip? Sugru it!! :)

Seriously though, sugru is my new duct tape, and makes excellent cameragrips. Custom fitted to your own hand:) maybe not masterfully crafted or fashionable, but it works great on my leather halfcase. Sticks to anything, so one could put it straight on the camera.

Patrick K

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Agree with monk3y... I do very much like my EP5 (and ELP5), but I want an EVF -much of the time- and the add-on EVF option is indeed clunky and cumbersome, compared to a design like the GX7 (which I have on pre-order).

What Olympus really needs to do get passed the designer wood grip fashion doo-dads and get serious on offering a GX7-type body, which I predict they are working on developing right now... if they have any business smarts left.