Lion batteries prohibited from checked luggage

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Under new regulations from US Dept of Transportation, lion batteries will not be allowed to be carried in checked baggage in the cargo hold. They will not be allowed on all-cargo aircraft if the charge is over 30%.

Just a heads-up as you think about travel.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
So carry-on / inspection is the way to go then?
I think I've flown once since Sep 2001, I've no doubt the next time I'll find a way to screw up and be left crying in the concourse.

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
No need to worry or cause alarm, it's been that way for a while now. Just put your batteries in your carry-on bag.

I took a Dyson vacuum cleaner to my son abroad, my hand luggage had my camera batteries (3) and the large battery for the Dyson with no problems.

The rule is simply because a faulty battery can cause fire and it will be seen and put out in a cabin but the hold is not where you need a fire.

Real Name
Walter
I thought it was already a requirement, but maybe it wasn't codified as a regulation previously. Perhaps it was just a recommendation. Now it will be regulation. I've been carrying rechargeable batteries and battery-powered devices in my carry-on for years. Don't trust valuable stuff in luggage anyway. Too many cases of theft. Even TSA agents have been caught stealing from luggage. Gotta watch your carry-ons too.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I thought it was already a requirement, but maybe it wasn't codified as a regulation previously. Perhaps it was just a recommendation. Now it will be regulation. I've been carrying rechargeable batteries and battery-powered devices in my carry-on for years. Don't trust valuable stuff in luggage anyway. Too many cases of theft. Even TSA agents have been caught stealing from luggage. Gotta watch your carry-ons too.

I think it was an airlines rule, these regs were announced Feb 28. Airlines can be more restrictive than regs. A few airlines, for example American Airlines, have prohibited carry-on luggage with the built-in lion USB rechargeable power banks in place- they require removal from the suitcase (tho you can then carry it aboard).

Real Name
Walter
I think it was an airlines rule, these regs were announced Feb 28. Airlines can be more restrictive than regs. A few airlines, for example American Airlines, have prohibited carry-on luggage with the built-in lion USB rechargeable power banks in place- they require removal from the suitcase (tho you can then carry it aboard).

I think they've been banning "smart" check-in luggage that have active electronics and rechargeable batteries.
Airlines Ban Smart Luggage! Wait, What's Smart Luggage?
Airline Smart Luggage Ban Goes Into Effect

What ever happened to dumb luggage and smart travelers? :)

At any rate, I go all carry-on if feasible. Seldom check in anything. But, I make sure there's no batteries or gear in my carry-on roller in case it has to be checked in. My personal item (usually a backpack or sling) carries my camera gear and batteries. Hence, I'm rather picky about my personal item bag. Have been trying various permutations.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Entering China and on the internal flight check ins, the customs officials would confiscate power packs if they were over a certain power or not marked. There were bins full of the things.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think they've been banning "smart" check-in luggage that have active electronics and rechargeable batteries.

At any rate, I go all carry-on if feasible. Seldom check in anything. But, I make sure there's no batteries or gear in my carry-on roller in case it has to be checked in. My personal item (usually a backpack or sling) carries my camera gear and batteries. Hence, I'm rather picky about my personal item bag. Have been trying various permutations.
It's now 5 years that I've learned to travel with a carry on, only. I remember when I used to pack a traditional luggage, I would always end up with 1/3 of clothes I wouldn't even wear more than once a month. I basically bring 1 week worth of clothes and wash as necessary.

Real Name
Walter
It's now 5 years that I've learned to travel with a carry on, only. I remember when I used to pack a traditional luggage, I would always end up with 1/3 of clothes I wouldn't even wear more than once a month. I basically bring 1 week worth of clothes and wash as necessary.

I can't bring as much clothes - I have to pack my CPAP machine with me, so that limits what I can bring. I'll usually bring 4 days of UW and shirts with 2 pairs of pants and 1-2 shorts. One pair of pants is usually a convertible. Almost all synthetics (performance fabrics) or merino wool which are easy to wash and fast to dry. Underwear I change every day, but pants and shirts can last longer depending on weather. Warm, humid weather requires frequent changes and washing. Cold weather means bringing layers and gloves.

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
A couple of years ago when we travelled to England and Ireland we were allowed two carry-ons on the international flights but only one on the England to Ireland leg so as I also carry a CPAP machine I had a Lowepro sling bag that could expand so I slipped my ThinkTank Retrospective 5 and my CPAP machine into one bag and kept the power pack and hose in my case. After the Ireland visit, did the same and then on the International flight back to Canada put the CPAP back in the case. When we went through boarding I had the bag open and a label on the machine so that it was obvious to the staff what it was for. No problems at any of the airports :).

Mu-43 Legend

"Smart Luggage" is where you can take out your phone, unlock the phone, launch the app, select your bag, and select "unzip" to open it! /jk

electronic-everything is getting out of hand. I've been shopping stand-up desks, and one vendor literally has a video of someone taking out their phone, to launch an app, to raise their desk. Just give me a darn button on the desk! (or even a hand crank).

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick

Not the checkin luggage, but the actual carry-on luggage. I had seen the A.A. notice and so removed ours. The gate agent did a check on our bags, we had to show them the slot was empty. I have seen people at the gate trying to remove theirs when stopped at the gate.

Latest threads

Top Bottom