Linux and Raw

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by battleaxe, Mar 19, 2015.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

To the linux users out there what raw editing software are you using? I moved to a Linux desktop and I am looking to find raw software that works as well as ACR worked for me on Windows and OSX. Thank you.
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As for working as good as ACR, well I don't think open source can compete with a team of paid software developers for maintaining full support for every camera+lens combo. You may find you are doing a bit more work than before to get the same output.
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    RawTherapee (cross-platform) is a good RAW processor/converter.
    UFRaw is an older one. Both use DCRaw behind-the-scenes.
    UFRaw can run stand-alone or as a GIMP plugin; RT is standalone.

DarkTable (Linux, OSX) is a photo manager sort of like LightRoom, with RAW processing built-in.

XnView-MP (cross-platform) is a good image browser.
    GThumb is a simpler one, it will support some RAW files with some prerequisites.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Not sure what gear you are using. At one point, over a year ago, I was successful in using Olympus Viewer 3 with wine, but I have not checked out more recent updates of OV3.
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    What distro are you going to use? Some communities package a whole host of interesting choices. I use Darktable as mentioned above; RawTherapee is even more powerful, but I can't seem to make it work as advertised - probably a packaging problem. But DT has grown on me quite a bit - it's quite powerful and very configurable. Another choice is Photivo - but I have yet to crack its UI.

6. drei3

drei3 New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2015
    I use AfterShot Pro. It's super fast, but a little buggy and Corel is pretty slow in updating it with new camera support.
  7. tkbslc

That might be the only commercially supported Raw developer for Linux. Still no GX7 support, though.
  8. battleaxe

Well I shoot with a GF3 and X-E1. I am running gnome Ubuntu 14.10 atm. I did notice Aftershot, but the price isn't for me. I will take a look at RawTherapee and DarkTable. Any other things I should know?
  9. tkbslc

Price? $60 is dirt cheap for a commercial raw editor. About half what anything else costs or Windows or Mac.
  10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    If AfterShot Pro doesn't offer support for the GX7, it's way behind Darktable in that respect (I haven't checked RawTherapee and others yet, but I'm pretty sure they use the same library in this case). $60 is a lot of money for what can be considered obsolete software - after all, the GX7 has been in the market for some time now. That said, it might have the best GUI for you - I'm all for using what fits.

In absolute terms, it's not a lot of money, I agree. But in the GNU/Linux world, most professional-grade software is actually cost-free - so everything else appears pricey ... I have bought only one piece of software in thirteen years of using GNU/Linux, and all things considered, that one was a dissappointment (and would have been even at half the price). I really advise to find a free (as in free beer) application that works for you - usually, that's possible if you don't expect an exact copy of something that's available commercially.

To the OT: If you use Ubuntu, use PPAs for Darktable and RawTherapee (search for it if you're not familiar with the concept); RawTherapee might give you troubles opening it stand-alone, though - opening a picture with it directly works. I could check if the problem still persists - but installing and uninstalling is so simple that there's no reason not to try.

• Like Like x 2
  11. drei3

drei3 New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2015
    Although I like the speed of AfterShot Pro, I do think the colours and tools built into Darktable are better. Also, it supports way more cameras
  12. battleaxe

I haven't tried rawtherapee yet though installed. But, good tip about the ppa.
  13. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi, I use

Rawtherapee, probably the most complete, you can do a lot of things on your raw with that, you can recover highlights (and lot, with my gx7..), reduce noise, and so on, and you can also open a folder, select and modify pics you want and than process all in a single queue.

Delaboratory, less user friendly, has lot of options about colors and exposures, it's not so easy to use at the beginning. you can save tiff and 16bit files.

Digikam, this is KDE native, but obviously you can use on gnome or other desktops. This is really SIMPLE, but you can do quite everything, and with that you can make the same modify on all photos you want, automatically. great tool.

Darktable is similar to Rawtherapee, but interface is different.

Shotwell. This is a simple and often the pre-installed software pics manager, but update after update it performs very good on raw files. It's not very speedy, but gives good raw output, and you can change simple things like exposure, saturation, crop, scaling. Give it a try.

PS: the good thing on gnu/linux systems is the multiple tools, even for free. You can install whatever you want, without make your "registry a mess". So, don't fear to install and try them all :p

PPS: I forgot Gimp, it's not a tool for pics as the others mentioned, but you can do a lot of things with it, and all quite well, but it's not easy for beginners
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have ver 2.1 aftershot pro - but haven't upgraded to version 3. I installed win7 just to use lightroom 5. If aftershot had something like the clarity tool in LR, I'd probably still be using it. I'm not sure if version 3 has it. LR doesn't support most of my lenses, but I have no idea if this is something I'd need. Printer support may be an issue in aftershot, as I've tried to print photos in opensuse 12.3, with poor results due to terrible drivers. I use linux for everything but photos.
  15. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Just wanted to mention with Aftershot Pro (2), corel often has sales. Last black Friday it was down to $30 I believe. I bought my copy of the first ASP for about $20 on eBay.
  16. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Make sure you install the lensfun package for lens profiled correction. I have been using Darktable, and while it is pretty good, it doesn't seem to be on par with Lightroom.
  17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've tried so many iterations of Linux over the years in the hope of finding something ideal, but I've come to the realisation that it's just chasing shadows. Linux is brilliant for many things, but it's also woeful for many others. Photographic applications is not one of its strong points.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. battleaxe

Just edited my first image with rawtherapee. It took a few minutes before I got adjusted to the interface, which is a positive. At first it looked a bit complex, but it's not that much more complex than ACR. As for features I am still learning it, but it does have some specific features like demosaicing specific to X-trans sensor cameras. I still need to play around with it more to get my images how I like it, specially with regards to noise reduction. But, thankfully for the most part Fuji colors are really good, even in raw that I think minimal processing is need. Thank you!

Edit: I just did a comparison with in camera converted raw file vs the rawtherapee, and I am pretty disappointed. While the purple shades & sky in the image were better in the rawtherapee files; the Fuji jpeg image however was better in every other regards, most noticeably clarity & sharpness. On the other hand the sky in the fuji jpeg was a bit blown out, while the sky in the rawtherapee was more vibrate and pleasant to my eyes, it also was a bit blown out. Is there a way I can like get the default provia and velvia color profiles or something in to rawtherapee and go from there? Also as a side note noise in the shadow is better in the Fuji jpeg image, but generally don't pixel peep, unless viewing something in that area i find interesting.
    I think I have a Silkypix disc and key that came with my GF3 that I may install via wine and see how that goes as I only have one key for ACR and that's right now tied to my mothers computer.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015