1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lijiang China with EM-5 and primes

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jsusilo, Dec 8, 2013.

1. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Another set from last year guided trip to Lijiang China on EM5 / S7.5 / P14 / PL25 / O45 combination.

1 11274763605_8848a60ba2_b.

2 11274819686_1deb1ce8b0_b.

3 11274829466_50c56a22d7_b.

4 11274934443_356dac46f8_b.

5 11274832395_da891e7f66_b.

6 11274803986_a647df0c60_b.

7 11274861323_e9bdcaec39_b.

8 11274838085_b53b9f6aa8_b.

• Like Like x 39
  2. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    LiJiang is definitely on our must go list. Did you have any difficulty with the elevation?

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Stunning - especially 4 & 5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Great shots… especially 3 and 4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    who says you need a FF sensor? :)

6. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    jsusilo,

Great shot's!
    My favorite ones are #3 and #5

• Like Like x 1
  7. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I did not feel much difference despite high elevation. I enjoy the trip .. Lijiang is the best city among all places I visited in China though it can be expensive for foreigner. I recommend Lijiang, definitely a must if you're in China for sure.

8. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stunning stuff. #4 is my fav.

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Wow, great shots! Was it a DIY holiday in the sense you booked your own flights and accommodation, or was it a package with a guide. I've heard China can be a bit restrictive, not allowing you to roam wherever you want. Looks a great place to visit with a camera!

10. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Nonsense. I've only had one instance with police presence involved in 21 trips, and that was because we took an illegal taxi unknowingly (Thank you Holiday Inn Beijing :mad: ). We have gone all over the place and as long as you are not acting like you are entitled to anything (as many American tourists seem to think) then you can pretty much go anywhere.

11. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Thanks. We wanted to go to Yunnan in May on our last trip, but we had an infant in tow, so I didn't think she'd be able to cope with the elevation. How many days were you there?

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Unlike mievil, I had a different experience. Going to Tibet requires (or required, the situation changes constantly) lots of paperwork, which was denied the first time I applied. Other parts were less restrictive.

13. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Well, I would take back that statement as an absolute on my behalf since Tibet is indeed special. I haven't been to Tibet so I can't particularly comment on that one. :) I guess I never considered Tibet to be part of the Mainland rules. I just assumed it was almost like entering a different country.

I also wouldn't be certain about Mongolia.

But,

14. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Yes with infant I'll probably do the same. The Oxygen level can sometime drop and cause nausea, the travel agent warned us to stay hydrated at all times. I spent two days and one night in Lijiang, I wish I can stay longer but we're on guided tour that everything (including lunch & dinner time) are set by the tour.

Thank you .. In Lijiang especially around the old city, the sceneries are unique and everywhere you look you'll see vibrant color, taking pictures are easy for me here. A friend of mine that speaks mandarin booked it for us and yes it was a package (tour and hotel) but I booked the flight myself. The tour representative picked us up right at the airport and drive us around. I would not know my way anyway but Lijiang is such a remote city (in contrast to Beijing or Shanghai), that majority of people that I met seem to be tourist (either domestic or foreign).

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Lovely shots.

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Mongolia is it's own country.

Tibet is an autonomous region in China. Think Puerto Rico.

Going to Tibet without a local invitation during religious holidays is restricted. Partly political, partly cultural, mostly fear of foreign press.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks for the lovely photos of an exotic realm.

Being a guided tour, do you find like I do, that we find ourselves as photographers arriving at the most visually exciting locations in the middle of the day? And never at the 'special light' times, which seem to be reserved for eating breakfast and dinner?

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm Chinese but living overseas, and yes, we love our notoriously predictable tour schedules :p. You're definitely right about breakfast and dinner; in fact lunch is usually reserved too. At any location there are generally three sessions - one in the morning and two in the afternoon (lunch might be at the location). For nightlife locations it will be after dinner (or you might have dinner there).

I tend to avoid tours so that I can have more time at an interesting place, be there at 'unusual' times, or to try and avoid the crowd, which can be hectic at popular tourist attractions in China. Mealtimes are great for that - if you pack your own food you can really avoid the crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sonicxpx

sonicxpx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Linh Vo
    Love your shots, my fav: #3, 5, 8 :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Great stuff! I am ashamed to say that I've been to China countless times, but have never been there... :frown:

Lijiang is such a beautiful place, and one of my eventual travel destination, but I don't think my daughter at 5 knows how to appreciate it yet. When she gets older, maybe we can make the trip together, or leave her behind so that my wife and I could go on our own! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1