1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LightZone

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OzRay, Feb 15, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I did a search and it seems that there are no posts about LightZone: http://lightzoneproject.org/. LightZone is a free program very similar to Lightroom and Capture One and I've been playing with it on and off for a while. There's a bit of a learning curve if you've been using Lightroom for some time, but it's not difficult to get a handle on how it works. The results can be very good indeed and it's quite a powerful program, even though it is still in development. For anyone that hasn't got any of the commercial products, I highly recommend registering and getting this software.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I trialed LightZone when it was a paid program, and, gave it a workout when it became open source. I couldn't warmed up to it - I don't remember why. I might try it again. The biggest problem I have with any photo I shoot is the photographer. If you search this forum, there are over a dozen threads mentioning LightZone.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Is it really still in development? I tried it a few months back and couldn't see any meaningful difference from the previous September 2011 release. I admit to being curious, but I'm nervous about investing time in a dead-end product.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I used the term 'under development' a tad loosely, as it's still a growing product of sorts. It's hard to say whether it will survive or just wither on the vine like many previous products, but if Adobe does move Lightroom to CC or starts to provide special Lightroom features on CC (more than likely), then this is another option that will have a chance of growing. Like many people, I'm used to Lightroom, even after using the earlier versions of Capture One, and so it can be difficult to move to an another product. I keep a copy and play with it from time to time to stay somewhat familiar with it, but I still go to Lightroom for main work at the moment.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have started to play around with it a bit. Seems to be another tool in the box. One thing I did discover is that it doesn't have any distortion correction built in, nor the tools to correct. So if one was willing to import into LZ as a raw file, then export as another type (say .tiff) you could then correct what you felt was neccesary on m4/3 lens distortions.

6. Mathom33

Mathom33 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I tried it a few months back on my Mac and it seemed to really slow down my system. Granted, I only have 4GB of ram, but I can run Lightroom and CS6 at the same time and they run faster than Lightzone does. The first few time I used it I found the layout c and the file window a bit confusing. It's a good program for being open source and in the developmental stages. As Cruzan80 said, it's another tool in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, that's one thing I have noticed about LightZone, that it's very slow compared to Lightroom when converting images from RAW to whatever and my system is pretty fast. The processing engine is well behind that of Lightroom. But for something that is free, it's a pretty good package. If Lightroom goes the way of Photoshop, I'd probably try out Capture One first and se how it compares now to Lightroom before deciding which way I'd go.