Lightzone question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by e.besana, Jun 8, 2010.

1. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    Hi all,
    I'm new to Lightzone and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. I noticed that when I select a RAW file and then click the "Edit" button the image changes slightly before I've even done any processing. It is hard to describe but the perspective seems to change slightly and the colors change. Can anyone tell me whats happening here? It seems as if I'm working with a "Lightzone" predetermined jpeg instead of the RAW. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -EB

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Not a Lightzone user but a number of programs use the embedded jpeg as the 'review' image and switch to the actual RAW for editing - it's a speed issue. There may be a setting where you can select the full RAW for preview - there is in Faststone Viewer.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi EB, Bill is correct - Lightzone uses the camera's embedded jpeg for preview thumbnails.

When you open the raw file in the editor, Lightzone will use the raw data combined with it's own colour profile to render the image. This will have a colour signature unique to Lightzone with the raw data supplied. Every raw converter will have it's own colour signature.

I tend to use the free Olympus Viewer to develop the raw file to tiff, and then finish post processing using Lightzone, but it's an extra step.

Cheers

Brian

4. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    Thanks Bill and Brian. That answers my question about the color.

Any ideas about the "perspective" change. The best I can describe it is a flattening out of the image. Is it doing some sort of lens correction maybe? When I get home I'll post an image developed using the Olympus software and one using Lightzone to show what I'm talking about.