1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightweight Tripod for Outdoor Use

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Aushiker, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I am looking around for lightweight tripod (sub 1 to 1.5 kg for the ready to go tripod ideally) as it will be carried on bicycle loaded up for touring (not credit card touring). It will be used in combination with a Olympus OM-D EM-1 and probably an Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 R.

I only get to go touring about once a year for a week or two so I do not want to go overboard on the dollars if I can help it.

Its main use will be outdoors landscape photography, and maybe night sky photography.

A Manfrotto MKC3-PF has come up on eBay which is currently reasonably priced and looks okay. Anyone have any experience with these or something similar?

eBay photo

Thanks
    Andrew

2. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Sirui oo5x?

3. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks for the suggestion. That looks promising. I found one on eBay with a C10 head (?) for AU$129.00 which is in my price range given the limited use.

Andrew

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Slik Sprint Mini II - I've had it for years, it survived all my hiking, sands and streams and it's very suitable for m43 or advanced compacts.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    While I do not own a Manfrotto MKC3-PF, I do own many Manfrotto tripods and I think they are the best tripods for the money. I would seriously consider the Manfrotto MKC3-PF. I am not a fan of ballheads, I much prefer the Manfrotto fluid heads with the quick release plate. Looking at the photo, that ballhead doesn't look to good.

I also own a Sirui 025 carbon fiber version of the above mentioned 005. This tripod is well made, very light and compact ..... it's also very expensive. It takes quite some time to set-up as each leg must be unfolded, unlocked and extended and relocked. There's a lot of knob twisting that's very time consuming, but what's even worse is the C10 ballhead that comes with the tripod. The finish appears to be superb, but there are no tension controls for panning, even the slightest amount adjusting of the panning lock knob results in very jerky movement. I have also tried using an EM-5 with the 40-150 zoom fully extended and found that when locking the ball there was movement and the composition changed. It just requires too much time to set-up. Also this tripod is so light, it is not stable in windy conditions. I found that by using a small bungie cord or some heavy rubber bands attached to the center post and the other end to your bag (setting on the ground, not free swinging) really helps to stabilize this thing.

Long story short, get the Manfrotto and skip the Sirui.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks for the comments. The Silk comes in cheaper than the Sirui so that is a bonus ... :)

Andrew

7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I have the Manfrotto MKC3-P01 like you pictured but in black. It's surprisingly sturdy for the 20-odd pounds I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd use it for long exposures outdoors though. There's a lot of plastic in the construction, all the leg joints and all of the ball head. The head may not be replaced. The thinnest leg section is tiny but Manfrotto have used oval tube sections to maximise the stiffness, I'm not tall enough to need the full height so can avoid using the last section. The swivelling plastic feet are a but iffy. On the plus side you can reverse the centre column to save a few cm of packed size or for low macro type stuff.

Overall not a bad tripod, much better than many lightweights in a similar price range.

• Like Like x 1