1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Light's L16 camera challenges DSLRs with 16 lenses in one package

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by techsplorer, Oct 8, 2015.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Interesting idea - price seems pretty high though ($1500 ish) for a camera with (several) very small sensors. Can't see how they'll get good noise and DR unless it just does in-camera HDR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the niche for this relatively expensive camera is yet, other than for the super high resolution. DR, noise, lens performance AND usability all remain to be seen...

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's kind of big... far larger than a point and shoot with no real advantage as far as I can see...

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Imagine a portrait camera with an array of m4/3 sensors and this technology. Instant gigapixel!

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would say 52MP, in camera multi-shot stacked images, and DOF post-adjustment is a pretty big advantage.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Given the past lytro files it's just going to mean absolutely massive file sizes, if you pay attention to composition when you're actually taking the picture rather than in post there's no real advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I like this concept. They have a gallery on their website where some pictures look fantastic and some look just ok... For example, there's a picture of three people in an outdoor restaurant/ wine bar that doesn't look that great. There's some noise, but the black guy's skin just doesn't look right.

I'd like to be able to see EXIF data (what is considered high ISO?). What's the dynamic range?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tkbslc

Next you are going to tell me that nobody needs more than 8 stops of DR, 5MP or ISO 800 and that RAW is for weenies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tkbslc

When you are always stacking ten images shot at multiple apertures, ISO and shutter speeds - what is the actual exposure data? Can there really be a useful EXIF?

According to their website, every single image is made from 10 of the 16 sensors firing simultaneously. So I think every single shot would have to be HDR and have stacked image noise reduction baked in.

10. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Fair point. I should have mentioned information equivalent to today's EXIF data. Something that gives us an idea of what the performance curve is.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Back in the film days you far less to work with using slide film and yet people made amazing images, more resolution won't make a boring picture interesting, I don't understand why ISO or RAW are even coming into the picture here as even camera phones have that these days... they're just a tool for a job.

You can do more with more however to say that you need them to make a good image is false. What I'm saying is this camera is a large package that doesn't offer anything smaller packages cannot easily replicate using half a second more planning.

12. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    WOW

I am lovin this.

13. tkbslc

And that is 100% false.

What small package does 10 shot HDR and noise reduction on every shot? What small camera has an f1.2 lens? What small camera does 52MP? What small camera has a lens that goes out to 150mm f2.4 and doesn't extend? The post DOF (and Focus) Control is just the icing on the cake.

I don't even know if this is good, but dismissing it as pedestrian seems intentionally obtuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Was thinking the same thing when I saw that. It has a lot of noise. I went back to look at it again and it seems they removed that particular image. hmmmm.

FAQ states that the file format output will be JPEG, TIFF and raw DNG. Being that the final image seems to be a composite of multiple images, does that mean noise gets baked in?

15. tkbslc

I'd like to see the specs on the sensor sizes and lens apertures. It says f1.2 in the DOF chart, but some of the closeups look like f2.4 lenses. Although if it can stitch multiple frames together to make a larger shot, then maybe it has an effectively larger sensor and DOF equivalent.

At any rate, I'm certainly interested to learn more about this unique product.

One concern I have is keeping 16 lenses clean and scratch free considering they appear to not have a lens cap of any kind. Also, it seems like it would be easy to hang your fingers over a lens or two and you never know which ones are going to fire for a given shot.

16. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    That feels a little shady...

17. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    From their FAQ, re: video:

"The Light L16 Camera will shoot video up to 4K with optical zoom from 35-150mm equivalent focal length."

"The L16 has 16 cameras at focal lengths from 35mm to 150mm. Depending on the zoom level chosen a subset of those cameras are used to capture images for the desired field of view."

And HDR:

What about HDR?

The Light L16 Camera will offer HDR capability that surpasses most other cameras' HDR, by virtue of the fact that the device can expose different camera modules at different exposure values and capture simultaneous HDR, rather than the traditional sequential HDR.

Seems promising from a few directions to say the least...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The front diameter of the lenses doesn't appear to be 62mm so it might be equivalent to 150mm however it's not a 150mm f2.4 lens.