1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jk schofield, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Jk schofield

Jk schofield New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2018
    Which version of lightroom do you recommend for MacBook Pro 2011?

2. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I’m a Mac and Lr user and always update both when updates arrive!
    You can download a 30 day free trial, maybe try that route!

3. Jk schofield

Jk schofield New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2018
    I just want to buy it. what version you recommend?

4. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Lightroom is only available by subscription.

There are three plans.
    • Lightroom CC only with 1TB of storage for $10/mo
    • Photography plan with LR classic, LR CC and photoshop with 20GB of storage for $10/mo
    • Photography plan with LR classic, LR CC and photoshop with 1TB of storage for $20/mo
    My recommendation if you are set on getting LR would be one of the photography plans which include everything unless you are wanting a cloud heavy workflow.

That being said, at this point, if you are not already invested in LR, I would definitely choose something else. The forced subscription model, the heavy push to the cloud are big turn-offs for me. These days, there are so many great alternatives that don't require these things that I would seriously consider over LR.

5. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    Look for a standalone version of LR - version 6.

As one writer put it, Adobe is the "most ethically challenged of software companies"...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    To me, buying a standalone version of lightroom is pointless unless you are trying to maintain an old catalog.

Since there will be no more standalone versions, RAW support for new cameras will not be available. This means you will need to convert everything to DNG which completely disrupts LR workflow.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Buying older versions of Lightroom may be an issue. The software has to activate via an Adobe server - and Adobe servers may not activate copies the server does not account as legitimate.

So you really don't have a choice and it is no longer updated - Lightroom 6 - how to buy

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Their first or second quarter 2018 financial report had record profits and they took that occasion to announce price increases for Adobe CC.

Fortunately there are now several strong competitors to Lightroom. IMO it would be extremely unwise for a new user to go with LR, even a standalone version, when long term solutions to Adobe's greed are available.

I will be moving off LR6 soon and am very happy to see vendors starting to talk about LR catalog import tools.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dinobe

Dinobe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2017
    Lochristi, Belgium
    I'm a standalone LR user since version 2, currently at version 6. I really don't see point in buying an older version of LR today, but at the same time I personally don't want to go with subscription based software. I will keep using LR6 until I'm starting to run in to issues but after that I will look into alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. RichardC

RichardC Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2018
    Sutton Coldfield, UK.
    The monthly subscription for Lightroom and Photoshop is peanuts.

Adobe isn't holding a gun to anyone's head. The subscription model cuts both ways. When (if) something better and cheaper does come along, you are free to walk away more or less immediately and buy (or subscribe) to that. By better, I mean not some gigantic compromise with one or two groundbreaking features and half of the program still in beta.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Twice as many peanuts since the announcement of Lightroom CC, now 19.99/month for LR & PS.

However with Lightroom 6 (as long as it works with the RAW files the user needs) the new cost is still $149.99 for a perpetual license.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Youre not really that free to walk away though. All your past edits and cataloguing efforts will be gone. In addition you will have to adapt to a new workflow. There are severe transaction costs for moving to a different editing software. Personally I am still holding out with LR 6 hoping for other developers to give me a good alternative. Sadly, the panorama function that gives you DNG panos is unique to LR and it seems no other developer is keen on bringing out an alternative. My biggest hope is on Affinity to bring out a DAM, as Affinity Photo has already replaced Photoshop for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    $19.99/month if you want LR, PS, and 1TB of cloud storage. If you don't care about the cloud storage you can still get LR, PS, and 20GB of storage (that you don't have to use) for $9.99 a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    RAW support for new cameras should not be an issue with m43

No, I would not buy a bootleg copy, but LR6 as valid purchases is still out there - for now.

15. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Why? New m43 cameras are still released.

16. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    it's built in

17. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I don't think it works that way. It needs to be updated for each new camera.

18. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    talking about Lens Corrections - what else do you need it to recognize?

19. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    The RAW files from the camera.

20. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    I don't think the RAW format changes very often. If or when it does, one can jump ship to CC or - if the conversion has been worked out - to a different brand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.