1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom vs PSE vs Oly Viewer for Beginner

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I just received an OM-D E-M10, so I need to update my photo editing software. I currently use PSE 6 to organize my photos and I like the way it works. I also have Oly Viewer and I've only lightly played with it, but not impressed yet. Will I get significantly more with Lightroom? With the M10 I'm shooting in RAW & JPG, so I'm mostly using the JPG files at the moment. At the moment I can't see myself doing significant PP, but that could change. I'm also not interested in a subscription. Thanks.

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    A lot of people like lightroom. Lots of power built in, I rarely need to use PSE. There is a free 30 day trial and LOTS of great videos to teach you how to get the most out of it. DXO is also very good but less training material and it stinks at organizing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Personally, I would recommend that you get LR5 and retain your PSE6 as a bitmap editor for those cases where one is needed. LR5 would then serve as your photo library manager and your RAW converter.

LR's library management is very powerful. It allows you to create "collections" where individual images can exist in multiple collections and allows for "virtual copies" of images where the copies can be adjusted independently without have to have full duplicate copies of the source image.

Your "old" PSE can easily be set as LR's go-to app for bitmap editing allowing you to use LR as your main app and access PSE from there on an as needed basis. I've done this with my setup although my "old" app is PS4 along with Bridge. LR is now my main app with PS4 as my bitmap editor when needed. Bridge is still around for the few chores where it is faster and more efficient (bulk renaming, bulk metadata edits, ...).

Since Abobe offers a fully functional 30 trial you can easily download LR5 from Adobe and try it out without any permanent alteration to your setup.

• Like Like x 1
  4. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    I like Lightroom alot, butI hate the cropping that it perfoms when importing raw files... Been using DxO for now, but it's slooooooooooow

Sent from my GT-I9300

• Like Like x 1
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Light Room is a very good file data base. I've used Photoshop since version 5, and last year went with LR (before I went cloud), and I now have about 60,000 images online. So here is what I would say. If you are using Jpg and not doing much (but LR is also very powerful for most things photographers do), I think for the small cost, LR is a significantly better file manager than either Bridge in Photoshop or the PSE equivalent. If you get more advanced and image with RAW, LR implementation of ACR is significantly more powerful than PSE's. If you want to add things like captions, titles, keywords, or other management data points LR is extremely easy and then allows for very easy management/finding of specific files, even on offline images. I have no affiliation with Adobe and was more than a little upset at going to the cloud (but the $9.95 offer made it a little better), but if I was just starting out, LR would be my choice (remember I've bought the stand-a-lone and pay for the cloud) hands down. It will give you lots of room to grow and is pretty easy to learn. That's my opinion, your "mileage may vary".

• Like Like x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Light Room or Aperture if you are on a Mac. And, keep PSE.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    If I import all of my photos into Lightroom, will Lightroom keep all of the tags that I have assigned to the photos? This is the one thing that I really like and use PSE for.

8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Lightroom is supposed to be able to import a PSE catalogue but there are some notes on the web that sometimes it's not quite as easy as the help files suggest (but sometimes it is) but you cannot keep them "in sync" as Lightroom is none destructive and PSE is.

Lightroom has a lot if power and there are more filters than PSE6, my wife uses PSE11 as she only catalogues JPG's and very little modification and I use LR5 from RAW to try and maximise each shot and the catalogue functions. It really depends on what you want to do

There are also some nice built in and third party programmes for "publishing" from LR5 to various sites eg flicker, smugmug, Zenfolio etc. and even automatically keeps them up to date - not sure is PSE can do the same.

For a similar cost I would say LR if you are going to work from RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    I'd echo all of the earlier posts recommending Lightroom but one word of warning. I see from the initial post that you have an EM10. At the moment LR does not support the RAW files from this camera. An update should be available soon - Adobe just released an update to ACR with EM10 support - but since you only have 30 days on the trial you may want to hold off until the update is released.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Not for LR

They have only released a new ACR for the CC apps. There have also released "release candidates" (read: possibly not final code) of the ACR for CS6 and of the DNG converter. They have not yet released a new revision of LR5 with its embedded ACR code. Since the ACR for CC has been released, a new rev of LR5 should be out with the next several weeks if the only change is the new ACR code. If they are planning other fixes and/or updates in this next rev of LR5 then the release may be further out.

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I figured out LR, but all the rest of the abbreviations went right over my head.

13. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    ACR = Adobe Camera Raw
    CC = Creative Cloud
    CS6 = Creative Suite 6
    DNG = Digital Negative File

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    ACR = Adobe Camera RAW - performs all types of RAW conversion for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.
    CC = Creative Cloud - the subscription-only successor to Create Suite (CS), whose last version was 6.

The code behind ACR is shared with Lightroom (LR) also for RAW conversion. So now that ACR supports the E-M10, it shouldn't be very long until an update to LR brings over the code that supports the E-M10.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    For photo management ("Digital Asset Management" or DAM), there are very few options. Lightroom and Apple's Aperture are the two that come to mind first. Photo Mechanic is a classic, but it's really for pros and doesn't do any image manipulation. Two others are Capture One Express (there's also a "Pro") and Photo Supreme. These are all available on Mac and Windows (except Aperture, which is Mac-only). They also all have 30 day trials (again, except for Aperture).

I currently use Aperture and it's mostly great (well-integrated and good, fast catalogue stuff), but I'm not super-thrilled with the delays in any new version, and I find the noise reduction to basically not work at all. So I've been trying to see what else is out there.

- Lightroom: the default player for hobbyists and pros. My concern is around the cloud pricing that Adobe is moving to for most of their products
    - Photo Mechanic: pros only. This does super-fast ingestion, cataloguing, and uploading, but it's really geared towards professionals with lots and lots of images. Plus there are no image manipulation tools
    - Photo Supreme: a small developer, with a small user base
    - Capture One: well known for it's really good raw developer, it has recently added cataloguing. The company makes the Phase One, Mamiya, and Leaf medium format cameras. The catalogue stuff was originally iView MediaPro, then Microsoft Expression Media, so it has some history.

I wouldn't bother with Photo Mechanic, but it's probably worth downloading the 30-day trials of Lightroom, Photo Supreme and Capture One Express. See how you like the interfaces and also how the programs organize your photos in their folders on disk. Also take a few photos in RAW and make sure that all three support your new camera.

Even with one of these 3 photo catalog programs, you'll still need Photoshop Elements (or something) for a pixel-editor. You won't need it often, but you will need it occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
  16. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Lightroom was initially designed by photographers for photographers. It will do virtually everything you need in post processing. It is also a great file system for your image files. There are also some very good plugins available from Nik (Google), OnOne, and others. There many good books available to explain the ins and outs of LR. One of my favorites is The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Olympus Viewer
    Yes it's slow, but you need this to process raw files before anything else, the fact is no other processing software, and I include the latest 5.3 version of Lightroom, renders the oly colours as natively as this. Use this to export raw files to tiff.

Lightroom
    Use this to render tiff files to jpeg and make additional adjustments. As mentioned in the post above, Lightroom does pretty much everything.

Nik
    Get this if you want to spoil yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    Olympus Viewer may have a great price, free, but it is not worth it.

I can live with OV3's slowness, but not it's detail sapping and artifact adding conversions and edits. I've done the side-by-side comparison between OV2, OV3 and LR 4, and I was shocked that the native software was so detail destructive towards it's own RAW files (concerning conversions).

LR is your best option, and if you are a student you can get it on the cheap.

Jason

19. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I'm a little late joining this conversation, but here's my two cents: I made the transition from Photoshop Elements to Lightroom a couple of years ago, and I would just say that Lightroom might get you really excited about Post Processing. It's so much easier to make great changes (compared to Elements) - you just have a set of sliders that can work wonders on the image. I don't love how the Lightroom organization works, but it is powerful. But I love how the Lightroom editing tools work for basic post processing. I'm even teaching Lightroom to my kids.
    Tim

• Like Like x 1
  20. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I am still on the fence about all of this. I am leaning towards LightRoom. So far, I don't care for the OlyViewer It seems that my JPG photos look better in PSE 6 than they do in OlyViewer.

Several places I have seen GIMP and LightZone mentioned, both are free I believe. Any thoughts on these 2 programs?