Lightroom vs Capture One with RW2 files

DGoakill

Mu-43 Rookie
A few weeks ago I watched a youtube video where Thomas Heaton had bought a Fuji kit for an upcoming trip. He's a longtime Canon user, but wanted something small for the hike up the mountains. A number of people contacted him and explained that to get the best out of the sensor, he had to use Capture One over lightroom. He made a video explaining that he loves lightroom and didn't want this to be true, but during his tests, he found out that the files did look better processed in CO over LR. So much so, he bought a plugin for LR to allow it to process the Fuji files in LR similar to CO.

I'm wondering if the same may also be true for Lumix files? Has anyone had experience with both and noticed a difference? I've been using LR since it came out and have many catalogs over that time. Plus i have the full suite of adobe products for work, so I can't really switch, would be more of an add on, but only if it's really worth it.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Why not download the free trial of Capture One and see for yourself? These sorts of comparisons tend to be too subjective to rely purely on the views of others.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Rookie
Why not download the free trial of Capture One and see for yourself? These sorts of comparisons tend to be too subjective to rely purely on the views of others.
Oh yeah, I'm doing that too, Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed if there was a difference. It was pretty noticeable for certain types of images in the video with the fuji shots.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Well the Fuji sensors are different to everyone else's (different pixel arrangement), and people say that the Adobe processing is not as good in this case. I wouldn't expect as much difference for a more conventional sensor (although I do think Capture One and DXO Photolab produce better results).

I'm wondering if the same may also be true for Lumix files? Has anyone had experience with both and noticed a difference? I've been using LR since it came out and have many catalogs over that time. Plus i have the full suite of adobe products for work, so I can't really switch, would be more of an add on, but only if it's really worth it.
Fuji files (with X-Trans sensors) are difficult to handle.
Capture One is supposed to do a better job than Lightroom in this regard (some people still think Lightroom does a good job with them but it's a minority).

If you don't have a problem with your current workflow... it's probably better to keep it.
However as said above, Capture One can be tested for 30 days, so you can try it by yourself.

From my experience, C1 was good with RW2 files but I don't like the color rendition with my Olympus RAW Files.
But that's hughly subjective, that's why it's better to try it.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
There is slight difference for me regarding Olympus .orf raws. But they are very close. Bigger difference is when compared to Olympus Workspace. Each does things a little differently. There's slight colour variance across all raw editor, and how each does noise reduction. Lightroom has harsher, but more uniform noise. Olympus Workspace has some baked in noise reduction, chromatic aberration reduction, and sharpening that can't be turned off.

All in all, I don't think there's anything major that would require you to use one over the other as is the case of xtrans files.

Did quick comparison of as high jpegs as I could output. Natural profile for Olympuw Worspace and Lightroom. Default for Capture One. Tried turning all corrections off. I could have missed something, so don't consider this as a precise test. Iso 640.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom