Lightroom users: do you use/keep the presets?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Aug 10, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just wondering. For other LR users, do you use the out of the box presets that LR ships with? I'm finding I never use them, but I am making my own presets, which get lost amongst the built ins. So, I'm thinking of deleting the built in presets (except for a few here and there).

Was wondering what other LR users do with the built in presets.

2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I think you'll find it's not possible to delete the factory installed presets. You shouldn't really be losing your own ones if they're kept in separate folders. I don't use any them, other than to preview what an image might look like with a particular style. I believe they're intended to demonstrate what the program is capable of. Unfortunately it seems that many users don't modify the settings in the slightest, usually resulting in excessive contrast and/or saturation.

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You actually can delete the built-in presets but when you update LR they come back. Why not just collapse the folder and ignore them?

4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I don't. I don't have a use for presets in general. I like to play with every single photograph. It takes time though...

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    There are hundreds of useful presets available online for download, many of them free. I particularly enjoy the ones posted by Matt Kloskowski on his Lightroom blog.

One of my first activities after loading Lightroom 3 on my new iMac was importing my collection of presets from my Windows laptop. The transfer went fine, and I'm back in business with Lightroom in a great new setting!

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't use any of the built in presets, or any others. I will copy and paste settings from a previous image in a session, but that's about it, and even then fine tune the image. I may be making a lot of work for myself, but it seems to work for me.

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I use export settings for G+ and FB (separate ones for my 366 Project, Albums and One-offs), otherwise I tend to mess with each photo individually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.