1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom users: do you use/keep the presets?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Aug 10, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just wondering. For other LR users, do you use the out of the box presets that LR ships with? I'm finding I never use them, but I am making my own presets, which get lost amongst the built ins. So, I'm thinking of deleting the built in presets (except for a few here and there).

Was wondering what other LR users do with the built in presets.

2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I think you'll find it's not possible to delete the factory installed presets. You shouldn't really be losing your own ones if they're kept in separate folders. I don't use any them, other than to preview what an image might look like with a particular style. I believe they're intended to demonstrate what the program is capable of. Unfortunately it seems that many users don't modify the settings in the slightest, usually resulting in excessive contrast and/or saturation.

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You actually can delete the built-in presets but when you update LR they come back. Why not just collapse the folder and ignore them?

4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I don't. I don't have a use for presets in general. I like to play with every single photograph. It takes time though...

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    There are hundreds of useful presets available online for download, many of them free. I particularly enjoy the ones posted by Matt Kloskowski on his Lightroom blog.

One of my first activities after loading Lightroom 3 on my new iMac was importing my collection of presets from my Windows laptop. The transfer went fine, and I'm back in business with Lightroom in a great new setting!

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't use any of the built in presets, or any others. I will copy and paste settings from a previous image in a session, but that's about it, and even then fine tune the image. I may be making a lot of work for myself, but it seems to work for me.

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I use export settings for G+ and FB (separate ones for my 366 Project, Albums and One-offs), otherwise I tend to mess with each photo individually.