1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom: Share Your Non-Commericial B&W Presets

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm hoping people will share some black and white presets for Lightroom in this thread.

I find myself shooting more and more B&W these days, to the point where I import many of my RAW files into Lightroom with the B&W preset already applied such that I never even see the color version in the first place.

There's one rule for this thread: Don't distribute or request commercial plugins. Eg, VSCO, XeL, etc

I'll start things off - I was trying to make a basic B&W plugin for general use that would give a big boost to midtone contrast, rein in the highlights, and avoid shadows being crushed. My kids have dark brown eyes, and I wanted a big contrast boost that wouldn't turn their eyes black.

Most of the time, I apply the preset, adjust the "Exposure" setting to taste (often a big + Exposure adjustment is needed), and I'm done.* That's all I did for the examples shown below.

Examples:

Color:
    8595113108_80010a45b6_z.

Default Lightroom B&W:
    8595113010_e56715857f_z.

Using the preset:
    8595112954_ba2f086350_z.

Color:
    8595113888_83f3efd1e4_z.

Default LR B&W:
    8594013239_1407707275_z.

Preset:
    8595113408_b85c031904_z.

*Sometimes I adjust the "Temp" slider for different tones (cooler temps tend to lower the overall brightness and are compensated by increasing "Exposure"). Occasionally I lower the "Blacks" setting or the "Clarity" setting, but usually not.

Preset is attached below. Please share yours with examples!

Attached Files:

2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I saw these free B&W presets from André Ruiter who is a B&W photographer in NL:
    Downloads | André Ruiter B&W Photography

I haven't tried them as I am transferring files and set up my new laptop. You can try and see. He's got very nice B&W photos in his website.