1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom Processing Technique

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Richella, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've just come across this great series of Lightroom Post Processing video tutorials from Serge Ramelli. I've tried his technique on some of my own photos and I really like the high contrast, punchy results it delivers. In general terms he does the same basic processing at the start of each photo.

I've adapted this to my own preference as follows:-

Highlights - Reduce to -75
    Shadows - Increase to +75
    Whites - Hold the Option key on Mac and simultaneously increase the whites until you start to see pixels appear
    Blacks - Hold the Option key on Mac and simultaneously decrease the blacks until you start to see pixels appear

Increase the contrast a little (~+10)
    Increase clarity a little to +10

Increase sharpness to about +40
    Increase luminance Noise Reduction to +40
    Increase Colour Noise Reduction to +40

In lens correction, tick the box for chromatic aberration reduction.

I'm still not totally happy with the noise reduction part on some of my shots but the above will give you a good starting point.

From then on I make minor adjustments to saturation, vibrance etc.

I thoroughly recommend you watch his you tube tutorials. Try this one for a start.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMIGsxU1XY]Travel Photography Retouching Venice Sunrise Lighroom 4 tutorial by Serge Ramelli - YouTube[/ame]

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Yep, I've been following some of serge ramelli tutorials. I do enjoy his work, but I find sometimes the result I get from his technique can look a little overprocessed at times... nearly HDR-like appearance. For some photos, I find it a little 'too much', but each to their own.

3. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yes, me too. I find that it's a pretty good starting point for creating strong contrasts images but I tend to tone it back a little for some of the shots.

4. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I just tried this out on a shot, pretty good, cheers

5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

So, does this mean that most people get the numbers they like and blanket apply them to ever image instead of doing it on a per image basis? I know I have a procedure I kinda follow, but it ends up with different values for every photo.

Disclaimer: I'm new to this whole post processing RAW thing.

6. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    No, of course not. The fnial image is very subjective and different images lend themselves to different processing. However I like strong, contrasty images and I find that this technique gives a good starting point for further image refinement using the adjustment brushes, gradient filter or colour tuning. I find it worked particularly well on my recent photos from my trip to Krabi.

7. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Thanks for posting! Can someone recomend a similar tutorial for portraits (environmental and and headshots)

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

His iPad app series is very good value at £2.49 for each series. It's a pretty standard method he uses in Lightroom but it gets decent results. It's nice having his RAW (converted to DNG) files to play around with as you watch the video. I would say that a combination of his videos and George Jardine's excellent Lightroom series on the Library and Develop modules will provide a pretty deep understanding of Lr and the way it works.

http://photoserge.com/apps/

9. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I understand the way LR works, but my results always come out looking like poo-poo. Expalins why I am a software engineer and not a photographer :). I guess this is where experiences comes in...

10. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

He does a portrait in the retouching series.

11. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

One downside to downloading the RAW images is camera envy :eek: The images taken from the full frame 5D mk2 are mouth watering. Sorry I know that's heresy :)

12. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    I've been watching Serge's tutorials for some time and I am a big fan. Love the final outcome, but I also tone my preferences down a little. The main thing I've learned from Serge is the process and to experiment. I find that my post processing has improved in a quantum leap...

13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Just played around with this technique from my images taken at the Baltimore Harbor this past Wednesday. The image processed using this technique looked better compared to my regular workflow image. To get my regular workflow image to look like this I would of had to do more tweaking with the colors and tone curve. Speeds up the workflow. :smile:

14. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Have you seen dukenukems pictures? He uses the OMD and posts here, and I would put his pictures up against anyones. They are freaking mind blowingly amazing!

15. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes they're great. But I wouldn't really exect the OMD to compete with a full format sensor when it comes to resolution and detail. The level of detail when working with those files in Lightroom really blew me away. I have a large iMac display so there's no hiding place when images fill the screen. But we all know m43s are far more versatile and have their own advantages over bigger DSLRs :smile: And yes I'd rather have the OMD over the EOS 5d :smile:

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    My 7D RAW files are huge and I can gat a lot out of them, but the OMD RAW files are still very versatile. Unless I really had to crop a file an incredible amount, I don't think that there is a lot of difference.