Lightroom problems

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fransglans, Sep 9, 2017.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Hi there. I have a small problem, I'm running a lightroom 5.2, and the pics categorizes (hope that's a valid word) the pics from day to day. I want them to group into months or so, becouse if they do like this the subfolders became so many, very annoying. Hope someone got a easy solution for me. :)

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Here is a picture from my catalog, that shows my problem

IMG_20170909_141035.

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Catalog nightmares are the worst thing in Lightroom. You have to be careful when you import them them that you do it the same way every time. I just use the default which downloads everything into a daily file,consecutively based on time of day. Then you can create other files with different names ,but don't move them or you will unleash chaos. Everyone has different ways of going from there to more specific identifiers.
    I see you are doing it the same as I am. What is the problem? Your next step would be to ad identifiers to each picture. Such a stars,flags,people or whatever

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Hi, thanks for your response. The thing for me is, when I want to drag and drop these files from lightroom to a backup hard-drive, the files goes into day folders for every month, and makes them so inflexible to go throw, I remember that I had them categorized in month folders a years ago. But I guess as you said that I must do these things when I import them? Or maybe I could make subfolders in lightroom and name them january-december, and just drag and drop manually...

5. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    It’s relatively easy to reorganise those folders in LR.

• First create your month folders under 2017
    • Make sure you have selected “show all photos in subfolder” set from the + icon in the folder pane
    • Select the top level of your photos filing system (“Pictures” in your case)
    • Use the metadata filter bar and select the “Date” headingfor one of the four filter boxes. The date is expandable by year, month, day etc. so you can simply select 2017–>January
    • Finally select all the filtered photos (CMD/CTRL + A) and drag them to the new January subfolder under 2017
    • Repeat for all months and years as nessessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thanks, will give it a try

7. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Just make sure you move anything within LR (not with other software) and you should be fine.

You can also set up your import presets to go only to month level. It might be worth looking at that first so that whatever you do with your existing file structure fits with you future import preset (i.e. whether the import options allow Jan/January/1/01 etc.).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Mike_D

Mike_D Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2017
    Do you recommend moving from within LR if one is trying to offload files and folders from a laptop onto a NAS?

9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Are you importing into LR directly from your SD cards? Most of the material I am reading suggests not importing directly to LR from your SD card... instead load photos into your finder/hard drive/extHD (if on a mac) and then importing from there...

the best solution and one that I am trying to implement in my early stages of LR are those I've seen in a Creative Live course by Jared Platt called Ultimate Lightroom CC Workflow. He goes over backup, storage, file location and a plethora of other LR related material. CL courses often go on sale for between 25% and 75% off... just have to be patient to wait out when the ones you want are on sale. You can view them online or download them for future and/or repeated viewing.

The tips others have already suggested here are also covered in some form or another... what it comes down to is what makes sense to you... and then following that strategy with consistency... heed the warnings above moving things outside of LR though... you will be creating a nightmare!

10. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    If you are planning to remove them from your LR library for good then I would say it matters less. And there are several options (move as is, convert to dng, export as jpeg with develop adjustments baked-in etc.).

But if, as I have interpreted, you are just trying to free up space locally and keep them in LR then you could move them in LR. This requires a stable connection to the NAS, especially if there are lots of photos.

Alternatively you can move them with other software and then use the “find missing folder” feature in LR to ‘re-link’ them. This will be less problematic if your photos all share one (or as few as possible) parent folders because otherwise you will be ‘finding missing folder’ for each one.

I suggest taking a look at this link and other articles on the same site. It’s a great resource for LR tutorials, especially the DAM side of things: Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

Tread slowly and carefully and you should be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. pondball

yup... truly, The Lightroom Queen is a very good resource... good community for reasonably well timed answers to questions you may have about LR. I often move back and forth between the Platt tutorials and the Lightroom Queen

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I now finally have full control over the catalog system and the import functions. Thanks everyone

13. pondball

For the benefit of others here... what was your ultimate solution?
    I'm sure it will be helpful for others who have been browsing this thread and who have a similar dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    It was not so complicated. I just payed attention to change the date setting to 2017/09 when I imported my latest photos. But before that I created folders for each month in my library, and then I drag and dropped all the pics into each month folder, 01-09(september). After I had moved the pics I simple deleted every empty dayfolder that was left. Hope that my non native English describes it enough :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Yes. I do that all the time. Connect the drive and drag within LR.