1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom printing desaturated images

Discussion in 'Printing' started by angusr, Nov 3, 2012.

1. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi. I am sure that there is a simple solution to this, but I have been unable to figure it out. My images are panasonic raw, converted to DNG on import. They look fine on the screen both in lightroom and as exported JPEGs.

If I print from lightroom, I get a very desaturated image. Printing from the exported JPEG gives the correct image. I presume this has something to do with colour profiles. The camera is set to sRGB. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Uh, my typing won't post? Lol

Oh nm, it's posting now, lol

Is there print from orig, print from version
    Does it seem like its printing the unmodified raw?

3. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    I don't think it is the unmodified raw - the crops etc are correct. On screen in the print module, the image I see looks correct, it just comes out of the printer wrong!

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Colour management issue? Uncalibrated screen, no or wrong printer/paper profile, colours out of gamut for printer/paper?

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I dont use LR to print my photos but within LR if you are using the printer to manage your color, you could switch to using LR to manage your color (and switch off color management in your printer settings.)

Or if LR is managing your color you could switch to allow your printer to manage your color.

6. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

David, the difference between printing from JPEG in windows and from lightroom is not subtle, it is the difference between terrible pasty, washed out colours (lightroom) and almost exactly what I see on the screen (JPEG). The monitor is calibrated. It is something to do with the way lightroom talks to the printer (canon inkjet) - I am not sure if this is due to colour management, which I confess that I don't understand, and don't know how to fix.

Robbie, I switched from printer colour management to LR colour management and it doesn't help. The print from outside of lightroom comes out accurately.

Perhaps I should just print from windows, but it seems crazy that lightroom has a sophisticated printer module that I can't use. It must be a simple setting somewhere!