1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom presets

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by alfarunner, Mar 6, 2015.

1. alfarunner

alfarunner New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2015
    Sweden
    Returning to Olympus after 30 years of absence. Just bought an E-M1 and a couple of lenses (9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 60 macro, 75-300). My question is if you have som favorite presets regarding noise and sharpening when dealing with raw, or jpg.
    S

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Hejsan,

I have lots of presets for LR and Perfect Photo Suite. I import using an LR import preset. After import I use LR Develope presets as needed. Then I may send the image to PPS where I may use presets.

I don't have presets specific to my EM1 or a specific lens. LR does lens corrections based on the info passed in the raw file.

3. alfarunner

alfarunner New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2015
    Sweden
    Well I would like to have a more specific answer. E.g how much you adjust the noise parameters for different ISO images and so on.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    By default LR applies no noise reduction. You can apply luminance noise reduction and colour noise reduction separately. How much you apply may depend as much on the image as on the ISO setting because 2 images at the same ISO setting may well require different amounts of noise reduction due to things like one being underexposed and the other being overexposed or perhaps nothing more than the amount of really dark areas in the frame. The other thing that has an effect is which camera body you are using. Different sensors have different noise performance.

In Martin Evening's Lightroom 5 book he suggests that a setting between 5% and 20% would probably be enough and that you shouldn't need to go beyond 50% except in extreme circumstances. I rarely use colour noise reduction.

Back when I started using LR with files from my E-P3 I often used a luminance noise reduction of 25%. With the E-M5 (original version) and E-M1 i've reduced that over time and now tend to use a 10% setting as my norm. I also tend to use one of the 2 sharpening presets included in LRs standard set of presets though I occasionally modify my sharpening.

The other thing that has to be said about sharpening and noise reduction is that there's an element of personal preference involved. I tend to prefer less rather than more noise reduction because increasing noise reduction reduces sharpness. Sure, you can then adjust the sharpness to make up for that but it's easy to end up increasing sharpness to compensate for increased noise reduction, then increasing noise reduction to compensate for the increase in noise associated with more sharpening, then increasing noise reduction again and so on. I don't find the noise from my E-M5 or E-M1 files particularly objectionable so I keep noise reduction low and I find the included LR sharpening presets work well for me while I keep the noise reduction setting low.

YMMV.