LightRoom physical workflow advice

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Speedliner, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    hi folks, I thought I'd ask a best-practice question here.

Currently, all of our family pics are stored on a file server accessible by all coputers in the house and the Tivos for viewing on TV. Everyone know where our pictures are and how to store them. They are all jpegs and viewable by any device.

Since buying an om-d last year, I have been loading my raw files onto a separate folder on the file server and more recently on my c-drive for speed's sake. No one else knows how to view raw files, so they aren't viewable by anyone else until I make them available somehow.

So here is my two-fold question.

First) do you find any real performance benefit from working from your c-drive (or any attached drive) over a networked drive? Hard for me to tell how much delay is processing and how much is I/o.

Second) do you organize your raw files separately from jpegs, or general availability locations? I've started exporting "processed' images to the general availability locations as jpegs, so,they're available for viewing by all and without a raw viewer. Wondering what others do and if there's a better way.

Thanks

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    First I only shoot in raw in order to capture and save as much sensor data as possible. That goes hand in hand with "shooting to the right" on the histogram in order to capture as much data as possible without blowing out any significant portion of the scene. The SD card is moved to my Macbook and the image files are imported into my LR library on the Macbook SSD. Once I have culled and processed the images, the final results are moved from the internal SSD to my external library RAID 0 set. The move is done via the LR library module so LR always knows where the image files are located. The library drive, along with the Macbook, are backed up by Time Machine to a separate external drive. Not have a separate backup drive is asking for data loss. Any images I which to share are put into Collections in LR and exported as jpg files into folders on the external library drive. iTunes is used to synch the exported folders of jpg images to my iPad for sharing. I can also share the jpg folders to other computers and broadcast them via airplay to an Apple TV box to be seen on a large screen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Yes, there's a huge speed advantage to working locally vs. a network. Even a very fast, wired network will be noticeably slower than having a local copy on your machine. Lightroom does make an effort to cache and builds "smart previews" of files, but I tend to do most of my processing on the fastest drive I have available, then move finished work to a slower volume and the network for backup.

yes, although I don't have a great system for this. If I want a JPEG version of my processed RAW files, I'll export a directory. I'll usually pick a subset of a working folder selected through Lightroom's filtering options, using a combination of Flagged, Ratings and Labels.

cheers!

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have found Jeffrey Friedl's folder publisher plugin useful to maintain a parallel set of folders of jpegs with the same structure as the folders where I store the original raw files. It uses Publish rather than Export so any changes such as deletions in the original files are reflected when next run. I have it set up to run off a smart collection of photos I have rated 2 stars and above, which in my system means only photos I have done some processing on.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1