1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom photo organization help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sebs_color, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Hello all,
    I thought i found a post on here once about this but i can't seem to find it. if you know it please direct me to it! if not, well hopefully you can help..
    I have a mac with only 120gb storage. So thats quickly running out but i bought an external hard drive. i was wondering if anyone has any pointers on a efficient process to go about importing, editing, then storing photos with catalogs?
    Basically i was wondering if there is a good way to import them on to the computer, but then maybe relocate them to the external hard drive? but all refer to the same catalog?

anyway, thanks for your time

-seb

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Assuming you already have things imported into a LR catalog.
    1. Move the directory to the external drive.
    2. LR will tell you it's missing.
    3. Select the directory from the folders section on the left and "find (or is it locate) missing directory".
    4. Navigate to the new location.
    5. Select the directory and you're done.
    I would then also "generate smart previews". Then you can work on the images with the external drive disconnected.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    David that is perfect! thank you so much! and also the generate smart previews advice is well taken!

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the smart preview just creates a small DNG file to represents the original. In the case of my D800 it turns 20 - 45mb NEFs into .5 - 3.5mb DNGs. For many that space savings is "nice", but considering a couple of events I shot last year... two in particular where I shot 2200 and 2500 images in a less than 7 hours... It can be "REALLY NICE".