Lightroom performance with Olympus RAW

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dhazeghi, Aug 3, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Still wrestling with performance issues processing ORFs on my machine.

The setup: 2.9GHZ Core i7 860 (4 core), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 7.

The problem: operations in the Develop module become laggy, anything re-rendering previews results in 3-4 second pauses.

My basic test is importing 100 10MP ORFs from the disk, and rendering 1:1 previews of them (other things are harder to measure).

What I've tried:
    1. Different versions of LR. I've now tried each major released version of LR, from 1 to 5. Aside from a slight improvement between 1.4 and 2.7, I've not seen any difference in performance.
    2. Adding an SSD. Good for browsing photos in the catalog. No effect on import/export/develop performance.
    3. Different system. A colleague let me try his system for an evening. 3.4GHZ Xeon 5677 (8 cores), 16GB RAM, Windows 7. System was actually slower than mine, albeit marginally.
    4. Overclocking. I was able to run my machine at 3.3GHZ long enough to do a test. No real-world difference, although according to my stopwatch import times dropped 4%.
    5. Disabling extra cores. While disabling 3 of 4 cores slowed things down, it did not do so by a factor of 4 but by a factor of 2. That suggests to me LR isn't using the extra cores very effectively. Disabling hyperthreading got about a 5% speedup.
    6. Using different files. Using 10MP NEFs, I got a 40% speedup in rendering times. 10MP RW2s were similarly faster. Subjectively, develop performance seemed much improved, although still not 'snappy.' Using DNGs converted from the ORFs, I get no speedup at all.

I'm not really sure where to go at this point. Dropping LR is the most obvious choice, but performance aside I find it a good tool, and none of the other RAW converters I've tried are as effective for my workflow. In terms of hardware, more cores clearly is not the answer. Faster cores could help, but even though my machine is 3.5 years old, the current generation looks to gain at most 30% in clock speed, and maybe 10% in architectural improvement.

Any thoughts?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Dara. Similar setup as you (except I have 16gb ram) and I am not seeing those 3-4 second lags during rendering. How big is your library?

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's essentially empty. I've been testing with a newly created library.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My desktop is way behind your machine, literally years behind, and I don't experience any lags with raw files from any of the cameras in my sig below.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've got a dual core Pentium something-or-other overclocked at 3.2 GHz with 8Gb RAM. LR with EM5 ORFs is definitely not speedy and noticeably slower than with Canon 5dii CR2 files (which of course at 21Mp are bigger).

I can only assume that the LR raw processor for ORFs is inefficient compared to the CR2 version. I also have Corel After Shot Pro and that's much quicker than LR and not much different between its handling of ORFs and CR2s.

I've grown to like LR (used to hate it compared to Corel ASP) so personally I can live with the poor ORF performance, but it's not great...

6. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    My Lightroom rendering is immediate, and I use a base model Macbook Air with external hard drive. I even render some massive 700MB files just fine. Your equipment certainly has enough juice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    As far as I remember, Olympus ORF files require a different demosaicing algorithm. Maybe this is what causes the slowdowns you experience.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Just to make you feel good, or bad?, my desktop is:

Dell 9200 (2007)
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6700 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 video card

...the ORFs are snappy on this boat anchor system...

9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Contact Adobe, I had some problems with LR5 and called the help line. Nice Indian kid signed on to my machine from where he was and fixed it in 15 minutes. Seemed it was only a simple menu item that shouldn't have been checked. The kid liked my car photo's, too!

10. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    You don’t remember what that option was, do you? I’m sure Adobe support is nice but there's no way I’m letting them log on to my computer. ;)

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    My set up is an i7, 16GB ram with SSD, Windows 8 and I don't really see lag in rendering BUT the E-P5 files are very slow to appear on the import panel... after that it's fine.

12. -spam-

-spam- New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    Brisbane,Australia
    This is about what I get too. Desktop or laptop, makes no difference.

No dramas apart from that though.

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    could it be some presets or whatever corrections automatically applied upon importing? what's the CPU utilisation during the lag?

14. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Use a System Monitor Utility

dhazeghi, I'm a Mac guy running Aperture so.......

But I'm on a 2008 Mac laptop & trying to decide what upgrade would do me the most good. The Mac OS has a set of utilities including one called Activity Monitor. It will show CPU, RAM, disk, I/O & network utilization real time while other programs are running.

I learned that other stuff (anti-virus, disk utilities etc.) was consuming RAM & CPU cycles that Aperture could use.

But what's really important for you is you need something like this to really understand what's going on in your system. Adobe products are well known for poor multi-core utilization. But your hardware should make LR fly. Find a good real time system monitoring utility & use it to find out what's consuming your system resources.

15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Importing is no problem. It's when you first open the import window and you would like to see the pictures... it takes a long time to load everything. After that its quick including importing etc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I experienced that sometimes and I realised it's because there are video file in the folder that lagged LR. Try to make a clean folder of only the still images and see if that helps.

17. -spam-

-spam- New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    Brisbane,Australia
    What preview settings have you got? The system may be busy trying to generate large, high quality previews of your recent imports while you are trying to view images.

Have you got Lightroom set to apply tone adjustments by default? This can be both quite unwanted and a heck of extra load on the system to process.

The problem with Aperture is that it is and has always been more of a resource hog than it should be. Lightroom will put away quietly in the background on my Mac mini and not be too resource hungry, but Aperture running by itself will very quickly end up taking up near 14gb of the available 16gb. Even without doing anything in the program.

Lightroom does a better job at managing memory usage.

18. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    First try all of these, especially 2 and 3. It didnt help me, but has dramatically helped others

10 Tips to Improve Lightroom’s Speed and Performance Without Additional Hardware

When it happened to me I was going crazy, I had a much more modern and powerfull setup than yours (windows 8 i7 4ghz, 32gb ram, 2 500gb ssds) so I was frustrated to no end that lightroom was so slow not only in rendering, but in moving sliders and such. After 1 week of frustration and eve uninstalling and re installation, nothing, super slow. As it turns out, by sheer accident, I discovered my computer wwsnt getting enough power from the wall, a faulty power brick, so my computer went into power saving mode. The kind you can't revoke even if you go to power management and put everything in highest performance available. Nope, it turns out it needs a continuous flow of 180w or its safe mode. With no warning whatsoever.

19. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Come on, what can a nice indian kid possibly do in your computer! :biggrin:

20. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    You also gotta give it sufficient time to render the 1:1 preview