1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom mobile now edits raw.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Repp, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Today Adobe announced the update to ios Lightroom mobile that allows for almost full raw support. Lightroom for Mobile July Releases

I'm in and out of airports today, anyone able to play around with it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    will possibly try it this weekend via sd card but i wish olympus would update their mobile app to support raw transfers. I'm contemplating writing an android app that can connect to the wifi and just transfer raws since I don't know of any apps that can do this (and hopefully its supported a supported function if the wifi spec is the same as the olympus air).

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Snapseed?

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you're on Android, don't bother. The RAW support is iOS only (likely via native iOS support). The only RAW format the Android version supports is DNG. Though, they did make it easier for end-to-end raw capture from the phone itself.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I use it on my phone to process phone's RAW(dng) files. Seems pretty nice. Snapseed for some reason cannot open them. After trying Lightroom Mobile, I probably won't go back to Snapseed anyway, because the Lightroom interface is more familiar to me from the desktop version.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Probably not. They claim Lightroom Mobile for iOS supports all of the same file formats as Adobe Camera RAW, and it syncs edits with desktop Lightroom, which would be impossible if it used Apple's RAW engine.

8. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    yeah you may be right judging from the release notes. In any case i`ll see if i can copy over a few orf files and see what comes up. I wonder what would happen if I rename the orf to a dng file (the old mp4 to avi and "hope its just a container" trick)?

9. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    OK Success!!!!!!!! - i've just downloaded the second picture from the link below and renamed it in android file manager to dng and to my surprise lightroom imported it!! I think i may be onto something but i would welcome anyone to try what I did. PS i`m using an LG G4 with V2.1 on lightroom running Android 5.1

E-620 review RAW and JPEG image samples (Four Thirds User) (church)

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, for some reason, I thought they were linked somehow. If they are indeed separate, that gives me a little hope for Android. And if they can utilize Chromebooks running Android Apps....

11. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Just tested the RAW support on my iPad Air 2 and it works pretty well. Everything is surprisingly snappy, I'd say it renders Fujifilm RAWs a tad faster than my quad-core MacBook Pro :hmmm: Given the fact that the iPad's screen is very high quality and pretty well calibrated out of the box, it looks like a great solution for photo editing on the go.

12. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Did you just copy the file over?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Mu-43 app

13. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    On iOS, applications can't work directly with the file system or external devices. I first imported RAWs into the system photo library using a Lightning to SD adapter, and then imported them into Lightroom. It's a 2-step process, but it works fairly well.

14. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Thats pretty good then! On Android, ORF files dont seem to be associated (or picked up) with lightroom. I simply downloaded a raw file from an e620 and E-m1 then renamed the ORF file, imported it into lightroom (it showed RAW on the picture) and then started editing. I'd be interested in someone else confirming this as well.

I've started to write an android app (or atleast the interface) to connect to olympus wifi, list the orf files, and then import them into the android device (renaming them in the process to .dng). I haven't had a chance yet to confirm that the olympus wifi on the e-m1 uses the same commands as the olympus air (and open standard).

If i do make this successfully work - I will share source code and an APK with the community if successful (until such time that the function is deprecated by official app).

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If I shoot with my iPhone I use the Lr Mobile camera. I can then do the basic adjusts that may be needed. If there is wifi coverage, in the background that image with edits goes back to my desktop Lr catalog. The same basic thing if I shoot raw images on my E-M1 and read them into my iPad's Lr Mobile. I can do edits and have the edited raw, not jpg, image set back to the desktop. When IOS 10 arrives new IOS devices will be able to shoot and save in raw. So Lr Mobile is as ready as IOS will let it be. Personally I will only edit a few images in the field to share with others. The vast majority of images will stay on the SD cards until I get hope and do the main import.

16. Sinister

Sinister Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 15, 2014
    Berlin Germany
    Marcel
    I use Lightroom mobile regulary, but unfortunately I am forced to use a DNG converter app on android. hope the full raw support comes to android as well...

17. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Its supported. The trick is to just rename the file and lightroom picks it up.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Mu-43 app

18. Sinister

Sinister Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 15, 2014
    Berlin Germany
    Marcel
    Good to know! Rename to which fileformat? Or just changing names in general?

19. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    I renamed the raw file from dc101010.orf to dc10101010.dng

(what i did for my quick test was find some test olympus orf files on the web for both cameras initially). There is an app someone authored from the mu-43 forums that seems to almost do what needs to be done, the only difference is that its live (i.e. take a pic and it saves the orf file to the phone) rather than what I wanted to do which was connect to the camera via wifi, copy over the files (and rename them from .orf to .dng using the android file manager). The application "Oly-oop" could be possibly modified to suit if the author was inclined to do so. I did take a raw shot via that app and once some fiddling occurred with renaming it and putting it into a lightroom recognised folder (the app puts the orf file in another folder not recognised by lightroom) it worked fine and was recognised by lightroom and editable.

Hope this helps and I havent confused anyone! Happy for someone to confirm my findings or debunk them but it worked for me!

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nice, my phone shoots DNG :)