1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom mobile iPad air vs iPad 4 performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rig Vader, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Hi Guys,

My first post in a long time.

I might have a chance to upgrade from my iPad Retina (4), to an iPad Air (5) or even a generation 6, if I have the patience (My wife would be getting the iPad 4). Not sure it's worth it though. I was wondering if any of you have compared the performance of the two, with Lightroom Mobile, which I honestly don't use on my current iPad, due to somewhat sluggish performance.

Thanks!

2. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I use my iPad Air a lot for Lightroom Mobile as well as using it as a Wi-Fi remote so I can show portrait subjects what I'm capturing. It helps a lot to have my own dedicated iPad (my wife also got my hand-me-down iPad 3 ;) as it frees me to keep whatever apps on it I need. While stuff might run on the 4, the increased horsepower of the Air and later are pretty important to me so I would consider an Air a necessary upgrade (what I did ;).

I also use it for all the other Adobe CC apps like Sketch, Draw, Line, etc... They're all pretty awesome with the new ruler and shape tracing capabilities. The french curve tool and the ruler are godsends for anyone doing drawing on the iPad.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I agree with Jon totally. I use my iPad Air with the Adobe CC apps as well. I have prior iPads which have been passed on and one is used to stream music (who needs a server!). I would hold off until next week to see if Apple increases the RAM and what specs are for the processor for the new iPad. You will also benefit from improved, faster WiFi.

4. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I'm surely holding off to see what's Apple's coming up with. I'm not sure that A8 is so much of an improvement on A7 though (unless they will use a different variant for iPads).

Did either of you have a chance to compare specifically iPad 4 vs iPad Air performance?

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, I have/had the 2, 3 and the mini but not the 4.

6. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Thanks for the help Guys,

I finally found a good article and it does indeed seem that the move from A6x to A7 brings significant performance gains. Granted some of these will only come into play as developers start to utilize them in their apps.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review

Quite funny I talked to a IOS developer at work this morning and he figured that performance gains were almost negliable :)

Sune

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2015
    I would like to use my iPad Air to show clients my photos but I'm having difficulty working it out. Wifi seems unreliable and photo transfer is woefully slow. Is there any way of using a cable to link my GH4 to an iPad air?

8. SeanKelleher

SeanKelleher Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Melbourne
    Sean Kelleher
    Have you tried the lighting/sd card adaptor, or the camera kit?

Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader

Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This is likely the fastest way.