Lightroom mobile and 2017 iPad pro

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Speedliner, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    ive beennan iPad user since the very first version, but I admit that I'm still more comfortable with a mouse. Maybe it's time to get used to doing more on a tablet.

A couple of hot topics addressed- speed of Lightroom, cost of Lightroom.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I really want the new iPad Pro to be my photo editor. Screen is better then most screens out there and I love touch. Still think we are a ways away but getting closer. I'm not a big shortcut user anyway so lack of them doesn't bother me. I just hope that iOS 11 will be a big upgrade and allow for improved orgazining of photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Try Affinity Photo for iPad.

4. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Have it. Need to learn more how to use it as I traditionally do most of my editing in Lightroom on my mac. It also needs a couple more bug fixes. Runs surprisingly well on my iPad Air 2

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. RachelleK

RachelleK Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2014
    MD
    Rachelle
    iOS 11 allows seamless use of files with Affinity Photo on PC and iPad using iCloud. There is no transferring of files. But, files in Affinity format are rather large. Make sure you have a lot of space on your iPad and iCloud.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    And the huge problem.......no local storage/backup drives for when there is zero access to cloud services or you simply don't use cloud storage. Shooting in remote locations and generating lots of images means needing a laptop.....until such time as we can attach external drives to an iPad the same as to a laptop.

7. DocZZZ

DocZZZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2017
    I think there are drives now that go around this USB to external drive issue with built in wifi. But then again, that drives the costs up and is much less efficient than a plug and go hard drive.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    And it would be very slow compared a USB 3 UASP connection. I can see dumping a couple of 256GB cards sequentially via wifi to a local drive while out on a remote shoot. I would just leave the images on the cards and swap them when a card is full. This is all part of the photography workflow that Apple is not addressing.

9. DocZZZ

DocZZZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2017
    I have read some good reviews about the new surface pro, especially pertaining to photo editing. It's essentially a computer in tablet form so any external hard drive connects easily. Could come with a 1tb ssd as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Tony's comments about missing editing functions may be out of date after today's release of new Lr Mobile. It now has local adjustments with brush, radial, and graduated adjustments.

11. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
  12. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You can now do on the iPad much of what you can do on Lr desktop with standard presets. So far no way to overtly import your custom presets. Also no way to use plugins (desktop ones would have to be coded for IOS). But if you just want to copy your raw files off a card, cull the rejects and maybe tart up and show a few keepers, Lr Mobile is now likely good enough. If you are somewhere with wifi, Lr Mobile can copy your raw files via their services to your desktop Lr. So by the time you get home from a shoot, your raw images could be there waiting on you to complete the editing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM
  13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it makes laptops seem so "last century"

14. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Not really.

For serious work I'll prefer having a real computer.
    But I have no high end laptop and I've got an ipad, so I use Lightroom Mobile.
    It's fine when I'm away and I still want to publish a few photos.
    I always adjust the settings back home, with my computer and a bigger calibrated screen.

At home, I don't use my tablet for post-processing, but LR mobile is great to show in progress images & make selections.

I'm not a great fan of the new mobile UI though, with small sliders and no full screen image...

15. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    To me what it really lacks to complete a workflow is the PS plugins, but I guess in the end you have to learn to do things differently, this is no less a change for me than going from P&S to system cameras.

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I am more than happy just to import, cull, and do basic edits on images on my iPad. For serious editing I want my desktop 5K calibrated monitor, all my plugins, and access to all my local storage. Can't have those in the field.