Lightroom JPEG Export Issue

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I've been away from the hobby for awhile and am getting back into it but have changed out most of my gear and am having some issues. I am using an EM1 II, a 5k iMac, and Lightroom CC 2015. I don't recall having these issues back in my EM1 / PC days.

The challenge I'm currently experiencing is that when I process a photo in the develop module and get it where I want it, when I export it, it turns out much more contrasty and saturated. I am working with ORF RAW files, and I'm exporting to sRGB (tried other options just to see and they all look the same). I'm viewing the exported jpeg on the Mac default preview app. The funny thing is if I exit the develop module and just go to the library module, the photo also looks extra saturated and contrasty, exactly like the exported JPEG.

Here are a couple side by side screen shots. Notice how the yellow leaves look unnaturally yellow on the right and the shadows are much darker. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

upload_2017-10-8_20-2-42.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

upload_2017-10-8_20-4-13.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Are all of the apps color managed? This is usually the cause of images looking differently in different applications or on different machines.

--Ken

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
This is the same machine - the screen shot is a single side by side, Lightroom develop and the mac preview app showing the exported jpeg.

Been doing a lot of reading, my best guess is this might have to do with the wider color space of the iMac 5K monitor being visible in develop vs what gets exported in sRGB?

It's frustrating because I don't want to edit by always guessing at how to compensate for the change by washing out my developed view so that it looks good when exported.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
This is the same machine - the screen shot is a single side by side, Lightroom develop and the mac preview app showing the exported jpeg.

Been doing a lot of reading, my best guess is this might have to do with the wider color space of the iMac 5K monitor being visible in develop vs what gets exported in sRGB?

It's frustrating because I don't want to edit by always guessing at how to compensate for the change by washing out my developed view so that it looks good when exported.
You seem to have a reasonable on your computer, so I apologize if some of what I say seems obvious. But, it is always best to assume nothing. A couple of things come to mind:

• Is that Mac app you are using specifically color managed?
  • Is your monitor calibrated (this does not address your specific issue, but it is helpful information)?
  • Does your monitor have a profile that you are using? What is it?
  • Is your monitor wide gamut? And, if so, what gamut is it set to display in?
  • Have you tried any other apps for comparison?
These are the questions that come to mind. If you still cannot figure it out, I suggest posting at lightroomforums.net . Friendly forum with good advice for problem solving.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
RGB Colors? I had one time the same problem, and the color setting were not the same when I exported.

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
Update - this appears to be a Lightroom bug with the Develop module. When I closed Lightroom for the night and came back this morning, the images in the develop module looked like the exports and Library module versions. I edited a number of photos for awhile this morning and all of the sudden again noticed that there was a big difference in what I was exporting. I closed and reopened Lightroom and the Develop view for the image I was working on again matched the Library / exported view. I was able to fix that photo, re-export, and it matched again.

marcsitkin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Try to edit and save a standard test target in PS and LR as a tiff with the embedded RGB profile of your choice. See if there is a difference. If not, export a jpg out of each and compare again. Before exporting from PS, convert the image to your desired color space.

If you do not have a standard test image, pm me with your email and I'll send you one.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Update - this appears to be a Lightroom bug with the Develop module. When I closed Lightroom for the night and came back this morning, the images in the develop module looked like the exports and Library module versions. I edited a number of photos for awhile this morning and all of the sudden again noticed that there was a big difference in what I was exporting. I closed and reopened Lightroom and the Develop view for the image I was working on again matched the Library / exported view. I was able to fix that photo, re-export, and it matched again.
Have you updated LR? And do you have the current drivers if you have a video card?

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom