Lightroom Import Previews Small

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Fenster, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Fenster

Fenster New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2016
    Hey Guys, i just started my transition from Nikon DSLR to M43 with a Olympus OM-D EM5 ii. I am having an issue when I try to import raw files in Lightroom. For some reason, Lightroom is not properly rendering the preview. As you can see from the pics below, choosing 1:1 zoom does not increase my zoom. 2:1 and higher will zoom more, however it is pixelated. I cant figure out why this is different than my Nikon imports. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

fill. 1to1.
    1to1. 2to1.

2. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I believe you are zooming in on the RAW file built-in Jpeg file that is created from the camera (that is what you are seeing in the import window). What does it look like AFTER the Lightroom import?

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Import the photo and let LR build you a 1:1 preview. The import screen is no place to judge a photo. And do note that Nikon tends to embed better (and faster) jpegs into their raw files than Olympus. When I am culling raw ORF files in FastStone prior to importing, the embedded jepgs often posterize (in my sunset photos), and that is not the case when I view them in LR. If for some reason you really need a useful jpeg while shooting raw, set the camera to raw+jpeg. I have a similar issue with the embedded jpegs from my Ricoh GR. Those are truly useless for previewing.

Good luck (and welcome to the forum),

--Ken