1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom for iPad is out

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by quatchi, Apr 8, 2014.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Adobe announced a mobile (only iOS so far) version of Lightroom. From a first glance it seems that it is designed to work on your images on the go. I haven't figured out, whether one can only use den Camera Connection Kit to load pictures onto the iPad (and into Lightroom), work with the images and they then sync back to LR on your Mac/PC.

Adobe's LR mobile product page:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/lightroom-mobile.html

And here is a short introduction on diyphotography.net:
    http://www.diyphotography.net/adobe-kicks-much-anticipated-lightroom-mobile-auto-syncs-ipad-desktop/

• Like Like x 2
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it will only synch with your desktop version of LR with a CC subscription. If you paid for your copy of LR you are out of luck.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I dont think this is the case. Not from what I have seen from the Julianne Kost videos. You do need an Adobe account though but I ikmagine everyone with the software has one of those.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Thanks for the update, I've been waiting for them to release this

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Hmmm... I guess this Lightroom mobile 1.0 so we shouldnt be too harsh on it but at present it really isnt a lot of use for most photographers. (The photographers it might have some use for would typically be 'professionals' who show their client a picture on their ipad, the client says 'I want a closer crop', you closer crop it to the clients demands in front of him and then this is synced back to your desktop.)

So lets take a look at what it does...
    Well essentially what it does is 'sync' although only 'manually sync' 'collections' from your desktop to your ipad. Really you send up a 'collection' to the Cloud (a bit like Flickr) and then it syncs that collection with your ipad. What it can do which Flickr cannot is sync changes you make on your ipad to your desktop.

Where it is pretty disappointing in its functionality is 2 fold.
    1) First it doesnt sync 'smart collections'. Now that is very irritating. I have a smart collection which is 'added to my catalogue over the past month' - I would like to be on my ipad. I have another smart collection '3 stars or more' I would like that to be on my ipad. But you cant do that.
    2) Furthermore I would like it to 'autosync'. I add a 3 star photo, it automatically adds it to my ipad. I add a new photo and it automatically adds it to my 'last month import' collection on my ipad. All syncing is currently manual.

If I create a 'collection' and want to transfer it to my ipad chances are that I do that already via Flickr.

Perhaps the best use of this app would be in transferring 'private collections' of 'personal photos' between Lightroom and the ipad.

In my opinion one really bad 'structural' problem with this app is to go through the ipad 'photo app'. That means that it mixes up your Lightroom pictures with whatever else is in the ipad photo album and that you cannot delete images from the ipad through the app.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Easy to get sucked into the Adobe cloud for a minimum of $9.99 a month. For me the answer is easy and simple....NOT. If Adobe is determined to force all Lightroom users into their cloud......I will head to Aperture.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm with you, why can't we just buy this? I have no interest in storing my images on someone else's system for a monthly fee. Stupid idea.

• Like Like x 6
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    LR for iPad does require a CC subscription if you're going to save the edits. Big thumbs-down.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FullyOMD

FullyOMD Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Mark
    I like the monthly fee option, unfortunately I can't afford to pay for Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm paying £8.79 a month for 12 months for PS and LR.:2thumbs: That's a good deal to me.

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm still on CS3 and almost never use it. I only buy LR at this point, although the Photo special is a reasonable deal if it remains at that price point.

11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I downloaded it this afternoon...it's sort of cool, I haven't quite determined how I'm going to use it yet.

12. FullyOMD

FullyOMD Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Mark
    I'm not sure how much the normal price is when I come to renew at the end of the 12 months. If the price doubles then I have to seriously have a think. I'm using PS quite a lot at the moment, more than I thought. I'll have to see if that usage continues over the months.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If this were a straight app then I would try it but since you HAVE to have CC I will pass. This may be the first sign that LR and Elements will become CC only in the near future. CC is great for some but not for me.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It looked to me like you had to own or otherwise license LR plus have a subscription plus download the (free) app. I didn't see the availability of a month to month subscription. I can think of situations where I might want to pay the CC fee for, say, one month only, so if that would be useful.

15. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I signed up for the Photographers' subscription a few weeks ago. I haven't checked back since but at that time, the options after the initial 12 months were the full package for AUD$49.95 per month or AUD$19.95 for a single app.

As you say, I'll have to see how I feel in 12 months time about paying double for half of what I have now.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think this a game changer. It brings real functionality to the iPad (and eventually to Android*). Yes, there will be features that need to be added over time. And, yes it is subscription based**. But, think about the possibilities that this app, and future apps, bring to the tablet! We are :43: , after all, so size and weight are important (at least to me).

- David

* Android apps take longer and are more costly to develop than iOS apps. There a number of versions of 'droid os versions out there and none have a high adoption level. Couple that with carriers being able to tweak the code. iOS is just a better system to start with. I am sorry if you are 'droid based but app development is not your platform's strong suit.

** Boy, I don't want to get into the whole subscription argument but I will. Give it a rest. Optical is dead because of the huge bootlegging problem. IMHO, Adobe has bent over backwards to give folks an affordable PS/LR subscription plan. If you are so dead against a subscription plan, there are plenty of good, inexpensive stand alone options. There is way to much whining about this from folks who purchase non-essential camera bodies and lenses and complain of GAS. In My Opinion Only.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Can't see why anyone would want to use an underpowered, 1GB of RAM iPad for serious photo or video editing given that a 11.6" Macbook Air is just 1.5 lbs heavier and has a 2" larger footprint. A retina (or similar ultra high density pixel) screen is coming to the Macbook Air's this fall too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I will stick with my quad core Macbook with 15" calibrated Retina screen. Then I don't have to synch anything.

19. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I already have LR on my Surface tablet! I just wish there were a quick "culling" app where I could swipe through quickly deleting and rating them.

20. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes, size is important but I don't carry around my computer ;)
    I use Lightroom because I like the advanced post-processing tools (local adjustments etc...) that are not available on the tablet version.
    I don't want to post-process my files on a un-calibrated screen with bad ergonimcs.

I would use some tools to compare & sort photos, and to add metadata on my ipad.
    But that's not what Lightroom Mobile is about.

I don't really care as I am not a CC subscriber (I don't have the use for Photoshop, so I prefer to buy Lightroom updates than to pay 12.5€/month).
    They didn't charge me for the update (it's not Lightroom 6), so... that's nice for people we will have the use for it.