Lightroom for iPad briefly appears on Adobe’s website

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jnewell, Jan 18, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    It will be interesting to see how this works. If it entails accessing files from the cloud, I dont think it will be much good. Smart previews on the ipad will be more interesting. US$99 a year would be crazy price for a stripped down version of a product that is available for US$150. I doubt I would pay more than US$20 a year for a portable ipad Lightroom.
  2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The only thing more cheesy than paying monthly for wheels on your car is paying monthly for software. No way, no how.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    For $100 a year it would have to blow photosmith out of the water for me to even consider it. Now $10 a month for an iOS + desktop + PSCC I'd be willing to consider.
  4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Not sure on the space, I just picked up the new 128g ipad mini. I think it will actually replace my laptop for trips that are shorter than two or three months. And thanks to synology I can also access and backup to my NAS anywhere in the world with internet.
  5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It could be interesting... For someone like myself that edits exclusively on the iPad, if I can import locally and use it as a stand alone editor that might be a plus! But there are editors already that process RAWs... LR Mobile would have to have some of the good mojo from LR Desktop... The stuff that makes it a great app.. Yeah it's going to be limited.. That's expected, let's not kid ourselves... But if the first rev is close to LR4 that would be cool..

Anyhow, I use various apps for processing and aperture as a backend... It would be nice to have more options. ;)
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the general idea is great. Tablets are becoming more and more the norm and photo processing is one thing they do well. However only an IDIOT would pay $100 a year for Lightroom on a tablet! Even if it is the same exact thing as the computer version the price is horrendous. I hate the whole rent instead of buy scheme that Adobe is going for and for this product it makes even less sense then for Photoshop. If they make it a buy it/download it once for $100 then it will succeed but not as a $100 a year lease.
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Read the link - the cost is probably because of a cloud subscription, which might be important if you have a 16GB or 32GB iPad. If you have 64 or 128GBs, it may not be important at all - depending on how the program is set up. We'll have to see what Adobe does.