Lightroom Crop Effect on RAW files

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by theanser, Dec 17, 2013.

1. theanser

theanser Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Dear all,

Is there any option to disable the auto crop when import our ORF raw files into lightroom? It seems that the aspect ratio is reduced compared if imported into dxo optics or olympus viewer.
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    do you mean the cropping that happens due to lens distortion correction? As far as I am aware, lens correction is done automatically in LR and there is no option to turn it off.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    With Lightroom the crop you choose in camera is respected. You can use the flat field LR plugin to make a copy with the full field of view.

Also with LR5.3 and the EM1 the full field of view is available from within the crop tab without needing the flat field plug in. But the EM1 is the only camera with this behavoiur.

Also, with the older GH1 and 2 the usee of the crop does actually change what the sensor records so gou can't go back to 3:4.

4. theanser

theanser Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    I am using em1. If that case I assume lightroom is already giving the full view, then I might say dxo optics extract more pixels from the raw files. I the samples later for comparison

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. theanser

theanser Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    As mentioned previously I suspect the cropping is due to LR automatically correcting lens distortions.
  7. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Reason for this is what hazwing wrote. Automatic barrel distortion correction.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    You'll notice the same thing if you are shooting JPEG + RAW. The camera usually corrects for barrel distortion when creating the JPEG.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    And annoyingly, distortion correction can't be disabled in Lightroom.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    And it can in OV? Is there a lens profile installed in DxO for this shot? Because DxO's default is also to apply lens corrections, although it's trivial to turn it off.
  11. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - I have Lightroom 5.3 and the E-M1 and cannot find this. What should I be looking for and where should I look for it?
  12. jjsgt84

jjsgt84 New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    I have both LR5 and DXO 9 trials right now. Im using a GH3 with an Olympus 17mm F1.8.

DXO actually changes the picture's aspect ratio to preserve pixels when correcting distortion instead of just cropping them off like lightroom does. I like this MUCH better. Freaking ridiculous that Adobe thinks its OK to just toss data instead of at least offering the option to change aspect ratio.