Lightroom commands in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MSnap, May 4, 2013.

1. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    Of course Lightroom is much easier to use than Photoshop, but I've little doubt that Photoshop can do all the same stuff. I'm looking for a guide which maps the Lightroom commands to sequences of Photoshop commands. Free or paid.

I've found some guides online for specific commands, like for Vibrancy you change to LAB Mode then edit the 'a' and 'b' channel curves. There's a lot missing though, unless I'm using the wrong search terms. I'd be working in 16-bit TIFFs I think, because I like the OV3 output best.

Or maybe someone here would like to write a guide :)

Thanks

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    why not just use Lightroom?

Its cheaper, non destructive, and will handle your TIFFs from OV without a problem.

Sure a black belt photoshop guy can do everything that LR achieves, but its an awful lot of work

just curious

K

3. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    I already own Photoshop and while I can use it reasonably well, it seems foolish and lazy for me to buy another program which only simplifies things that I could already do in my existing software if I was just willing to put in the effort. And I am willing to, so it's all good :)

I thought there might be a book specifically on this topic, but I haven't seen one yet.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    fair enough... but there are plenty of books for photography and photoshop.

part of the philosophy of LR and the other apps like Aperture and Capture One was to offer a more photographer centric approach to image editing than Photoshop which while powerful, is a more general purpose bitmap editor for images, both graphic and photographic.

You seem to be swimming against the tide a bit - think you will find that the majority of photographers, while they may keep Photoshop in their workflow for some things, find that once switching to LR/Aperture/Capture One, that the usage of Photoshop declines significantly.

good luck with you quest - Personally I know that I would be nowhere as productive if my PP tool was PS as opposed to Aperture

cheers

K

5. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    Ah, but I'm not a photographer. I just take photos sometimes ;-)

Thanks though. I'm still looking for a suitable book.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LR and PS were designed with different purposes in mind....

Just learn PS rather than try to do things in PS in an LR kinda of way. It will be better in the long run. You cannot leverage the full capabilities of PS without taking the time to understand it. Besides... I don't think there would be too much 1:1 mapping of actions...a again different tools.

If there isn't enough motivation to learn PS, then I am afraid its the wrong tool for you... Think ELements and LR probably be a better fit and cheaper too.

7. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I was in the same boat. Buy LR and use it instead or both. I still use PS plenty, but 5 min LR is equal to 10 min in PS. I still export to PSD and do all the tricky stuff in PS. LR is amazing once u get accq with it. I wouldnt go back to only using PS. I guess the point is why waste your time1 trying to learn how to manually do what LR does automatically.

Once upon a time there was something called the PS Bible. Ive owned several vers and they were all very helpful at the time. I would look for a copy of that to get started

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Seems like a counter-intuitive way of doing things - because IMO streamlining and automating your workflow (which LR does splendidly) seems to me to be a smarter way of working. Besides, it's (LR) usually on sale - I've seen it go as low as $70-80, which is a drop in the bucket for something so useful and powerful. But that's just mis dos centavos.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Why not open them in camera raw? That's part of a standard photoshop instalation. Then a use the same controls as LR.

Gordon

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I dreaded having to learn PS, then I found Lightroom. Now I use it and PSE. I'm getting the itch to learn PS, but before now, I wasn't even close to interested or a necessity.